Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turbos on the factory 07 porshe turbo.

I would like to buy a differently sized turbo with the same technology but if that is not possible I would just love to find a way to run the exact same turbos on my supra. Anyone have any idea how we can do this?

Does anyone know what boost levels these turbos are capable of in any measurement psi cfm's etc..?

I know a regular manifold would not work and I am not sure of what technology is used to control boost but I am sure if the turbos could be secured the rest could be taken care of!! Any info where to find them or to look to find themwould be greatly appreciated.

P.S I know this is a wierd forum for the question but lots of people that surf here try and buy a large variety of turbos.

TIA,

Anthony

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
sure call your local porsche dealer!!

I highly doubt you will find any relevent info this early on the supra forums. You should try the porsche forums.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ZaZZn said:
sure call your local porsche dealer!!

I highly doubt you will find any relevent info this early on the supra forums. You should try the porsche forums.
Like the Porsche guys would know. :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Maybe contact Borg Warner Turbo Systems and ask if they can sell you a set or if they offer other turbos with that design ...which I doubt they do since apparently it was developed specifically for Porsche. Did you see this already from the Road & Track article? ...nice pic of the variable hardware open and closed and some details, but no pressure or flow numbers http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=3439

·
Turbo-Freaks Producer
342 Posts
garrett makes some vtg/vnt turbos out of their gt series. However, i hear the operating tempertures of gasoline make them difficult to use, since they're designed for diesel. You would pretty much have to run race gas to keep the internals of the turbo from grenading on you.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
With all the machine shops out there I surprised no-one has taken a Garrett VNT turbo and just had a machine shop make the internals out of better materials. Besides, yes, most VNT turbos have been designed for lower than gas temperatures, but how many of you are able to run full tilt for 10minutes straight like a diesel pulling 20k+ pounds at a 5k+ foot altitude? I bet no-one. Sure, you can lean out a gas engine and run crazy temps, but if you run rich (11-12) it will likely be good for a long time. Even drag racing wouldn't be too bad so long as you aren't doing it like a rally car.

Although, IMHO you can do just about as good on an I-6 engine with a BB, twin scroll, free floating turbo. Most of the applications (diesel) using VNTs need it to drive EGR which means they want (actually they NEED) a negative engine delta P. I certainly don't want that and neither should any other power hungry, emissions ignoring, good American!

As for these Porsche turbos. They are most definitely interesting. I am sure you could buy them from a dealer as a service part, but the price will be very high. I don't know what they run for boost, but trying to get more than 20psi on 91 octane is going to be tough. Since the Porsche engine is similar in size that would work out to roughly the same flow as our stock turbos capability. I'm sure the Porsche turbos can flow a little more, but considering the cost and time to make that work it's hard for me to see the point. Would be damn cool though. :)

Daniel

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
But Daniel you also realize that VNT turbos can be used so that you will have as large of a turbine swallowing capacity as possible to maintain a given boost pressure. The larger swallowing capacity will allow you to have less backpressure and an improved BSFC. The lower BSFC will allow you to increase the power production of the engine for a given boost pressure and airflow.

What more can you want from a turbo... quicker boost response and more power. My only recommendation would be to go with a Holset turbo rather than a Garrett :1poke:

Brian

·
Registered
382 Posts
Didn't Chrysler use VNT turbos on gas powered cars back in the late 80's early 90's(Shelby CSX)?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Klop said:
Like the Porsche guys would know. :)
Recipe for power increases for Porsche:
1. Take car to "Porsche tuner"
2. Pull out check book
3. Select desired power increase from available offerings
10 HP = $2800
25 HP = $7950
100 HP = $31,900
200 HP = $89,500
4. Write check, continue to feel superior in driving Aryan supercar
:wtflol:

;)

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
Recipe for power increases for Porsche:
1. Take car to "Porsche tuner"
2. Pull out check book
3. Select desired power increase from available offerings
10 HP = $2800
25 HP = $7950
100 HP = $31,900
200 HP = $89,500
4. Write check, continue to feel superior in driving Aryan supercar
:wtflol:

;)
WERD!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Latteboost said:
But Daniel you also realize that VNT turbos can be used so that you will have as large of a turbine swallowing capacity as possible to maintain a given boost pressure. The larger swallowing capacity will allow you to have less backpressure and an improved BSFC. The lower BSFC will allow you to increase the power production of the engine for a given boost pressure and airflow.

What more can you want from a turbo... quicker boost response and more power. My only recommendation would be to go with a Holset turbo rather than a Garrett :1poke:

Brian
Them's fightin words partner!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.