Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you boost 15 psi with stock turbo or is it ok to with a felpro head gasket (new one) and arp head bolts torqued to 72 lbs???? thanks it would help alot ....

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
yeah you can boost it up to 15psi, but yeah metal head gasket would be helpful..:)

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
simply put......NO.......want more info? search...been talked about 100 times! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you have to have a metal head gasket????

·
5,467 Posts
a mhg is not a necessity if the car is left stock...however it is probably the best mod you can do...these cars are notorious for bhg ...here read up... http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85914

as far as boosting 15psi...on stock turbo...thats a no no... if you love your car that is...

·
JE, AEM, OS Giken'd 7M
320 Posts
I've seen it. I've got a friend who with no fuel mods, no FCD, No upgraded turbo/intercooler, etc. Ran 16psi w/only Intake, exhaust and a boost controller. W/o bouncing off fuel cut, repeatedly. It's a freaky Mk3... we couldn't figure out for the life of us how it did that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
has it been done though????boosting like 15 with a felpro?? and arp bolts. i dont have a blown headgasket i already fixed that problem.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
mine is stock headgasket, spearco intercooler, lexus afm, stock injectors, walbro fuel pump (255lph), downpipe and exhaust...im boosting at 14.5 to 15 with NO problems at all....im just lucky i guess

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you VIPERLOCC do you have arp head bolts??? is your head gasket stock from the factory>??

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
ive never touched anything with the head...stock headgasket, stock bolts...etc...
like i said, im lucky, same with my old supra, beat the crap outa it and it never blew lol

edit: oh yea, my car only has 73xxx miles on it

·
5,467 Posts
you guys are missing the point....YES it can be done....if youre asking if your car is gonna blow up if you boos tthat much on the stock turbo...no it wont....at least not for the most part in most cases....HOWEVER...the turbo is running complete hot air at that point....the stock turbo efficiency range runs out at around 13-14 psi...anything past that and you arent getting more boost......please search around! tons of threads discussing this and its been proven every single time.......

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
IdealSupra said:
you guys are missing the point....YES it can be done....if youre asking if your car is gonna blow up if you boos tthat much on the stock turbo...no it wont....at least not for the most part in most cases....HOWEVER...the turbo is running complete hot air at that point....the stock turbo efficiency range runs out at around 13-14 psi...anything past that and you arent getting more boost......please search around! tons of threads discussing this and its been proven every single time.......
thats why you get an aftermarket intercooler :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok forget the TURBO!! can my j spec engine handle it fine or head gasket which is a felpro and arp head bolts with no prob???

·
Mk3-Mk45-Passport-Eagle
570 Posts
uhh i boosted 12psi with an exhaust, dp, and intake and got a bhg in a week....does that help?????? its not worth it get a mhg

·
5,467 Posts
lol...thats not gonna help much....as there were never any TRUE compressor maps released for the ct-26 i cant show you what i mean...but if you understand turbos you will understand what i mean when i say that at boost higher then 14psi on the ct-26 you are out of the efficiency island.......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yah was the head gasket stock??? im talking about A FELPRO HEADGASKET.. i do my own work on my car. so you guys that install your engines and work on your car and dont [pay someone to do it for you answer my question please...

·
5,467 Posts
blksupra88 said:
ok forget the TURBO!! can my j spec engine handle it fine or head gasket which is a felpro and arp head bolts with no prob???
why are we forgetting the turbo? you are wanting to do something that isnt gonna help you but you want to forget the main ingredient? thats like baking a cake without milk or eggs........

but lets assume there is no turbo...somehow.....yes there are cases of stock headgaskets that have seen that much boost and been fine.....however why take the risk? more often then not it will blow......but its your car and your money....so do what you want....

EDIT: a felpro gasket is basically the same thing as a stock hg.....nothing replaces a good mhg.....

and for the record...i think 99/100 mk3 owners do their own work......FYI :)

G

·
From what I hear, Felpro is shit. If you get a redesigned stocker from Toyota or from Ishino (makes the gaskets for Toyota), youll probably be fine. You just NEED TO CONTROL DETONATION.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok so an 2003 gasket is the " basically " the same as a 15 year old head gasket hmmm.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do i know if its detonating ??

1 - 20 of 56 Posts