Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Boostedstr8six said:
From what I've heard and experienced, RX7s and AE86s are a challenge to drift. The RX7 because of it's road track engineered suspension and short wheel base.

i prefer to call the FC a ''grip monster" and not a drift machine if you have read my other posts, you would see this trend

also, the stock LSD in teh mk3 is kinda lame, but its better than a VLSD from nissan. if you are serious about this shit, get a real 2 way diff

·
Registered
232 Posts
Terrible TO4E and i drift our supras just fine... are they 240s or AE86s? NO.. but why should we follow the bandwagon? If we were "street racers" would we go out and buy civics and integras like every other person and their mom? And if you dont think that our supras can drift, then i got the videos and pictures to prove it.

Y

·
0 Posts
Ya know.....I think all the people who say "you can't drift in an mk3" are just bad drivers, and thats why they can't control the rear end.
Maybe its not popular, who cares, if popularity is all the matters to those who oppose drifing in an mk3, Do you let MTV govern what music you listen? fuck that masses, drift if you got the skill

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
It's kind of funny, if sombody tries to make an economical car (honda civic for example) a show or a 1/4 mile car they are a ricer and always get the "you car is just ment to be a grocery getter" but when sombody powerslides oh I mean "drift" a mkiii it's "breaking from the norm"

jdmvigor - if your such a good drifter why arn't you at any of the vegas or cali drift comps?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do all drag racers have to go to the NIRA or IDRC events?

We are starting some drift events in AZ. Ill tell you when we have one so you can find out for yourself what drifting is because apparently you have no idea.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
hey jdmvigor..i have gone drifting in a 90NA MKIII...and I would love to see some other drifters vids...no digi cam :( post them vids up!

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
you guys are misunderstanding what im getting at, i didnt say it cant be done, or shouldnt.. im a firm believer in working with what you have. But you all make it sound like the mk3 was practically designed around it, and then to say its a far better than a 86 or 240 or rx7.. the most popular cars chosen.. its motorsports.. not music videos.. people who do this proffesionally have to use what works, and they have done it longer and better than we have, maybe its a bandwagon.. or maybe its just the best way to do it, i mean yes there is a soarer and a chaser in the series.. but they both use the 1jz motor.. the "torqueless" motor that everyone keeps saying sucks, because its faster revving and using the 4.10 lsd makes the car rev a lot quicker, which makes it feel more like a lighter car. if what you said is true.. weight slows down the effect, you need rwd and torque.. then the best drift car would be like an 72 hemi challenger... or maybe an 86 blazer with a 383 stroker.. or didnt the old caddys have 500 blocks with like 500ft lbs of torque stock? theres a lot more into building those cars than what you guys are saying, im sticking to my statement, untill i see a mk3 placing top finished consistently in proffesional events... its staying a highway cruising car... i have plenty of videos of me breaking my old supra loose and sliding around turns.. but never would i have entered a competition with the supra if i could have entered with a 240...

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
But you all make it sound like the mk3 was practically designed around it
No car has been designed around drifting. I understand exactly what you are saying though. No it's not the best car for drifting but it is far better than a 500ci caddy (lol good one). The only drawbacks it has against most other cars often seen drifting is it's weight and longer wheelbase. Any type of driving (which means NASCAR is automatically excluded) relies significantly on driver skill, the car just provides advantages and/or disadvantages.

How about we agree to disagree? ;)

3,796 Posts
AZmkiii said:
It's kind of funny, if sombody tries to make an economical car (honda civic for example) a show or a 1/4 mile car they are a ricer and always get the "you car is just ment to be a grocery getter" but when sombody powerslides oh I mean "drift" a mkiii it's "breaking from the norm"
That statement was just plain stupid...there are plenty of fast, good looking civics that arent rice. Just like there are slow ugly mkiii's that are rice. :rolleyes:

·
turbo....................
1,057 Posts
jdmvigor - i love that video, i was always a non-believer about mk3 not able to drift well because of their weight, but you prove me wrong.

-tony v

·
1jz killer
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i guess ill put my power steeering system back on, doh! i kinda wanna get the 91-92 system since it has the cooler also.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Liked the video. Were you drifting on dirt or tarmac?

If it is dirt, then next time lets see some tarmac drift ;)

Anyone know any links or sites that have the MKiii drifting?

I saw a video of a drift event in Japan a year ago, There was a team of 180sx(240), silvia x 2, mkiii. They were all sprayed the same blue colour and performed pretty nice team dorifto. Thats the sort of thing I'm after.

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
we have gotten really off topic, so yes, ill agree to disagree, just from experience there are a lot of cars that i would rather be competing with for the same cost or cheaper than a mk3, lets not forget its not like i dont know anything about them, i have owned a modded 7m, then i had one of the first 1jz cars on the board, which is now gone, i road race all around the southeast, so its not like i cant drive one, infact if you do a search for the old threads about the supra mk3 dvd that will neely was making.. i was the one who was supposed to supply the drifting segments...

With that being said, back on topic.. the power steering would be better on a heavy car ( ala the mk3), heavier cars with manual steering push harder on the wheel, ie its harder to hold them when sliding, if you did some majoy weight reduction id switch, but its up in the air. IT does provide better response, however there is a cost in the wieght at the ability to control the wheel. basically.. if you have a mk3, keep the power steering, if you have a s13, ditch it. A lot of guys in europe and au ditch the power steering on thier mk2 supras, but only because there lighter than the mk3.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
the weight of the Mkiii can make drifting easier at high speed...it really depends on what you want to do...Ive found that the best conditions for mkiii drift are on asphlat in the rain. Me and a few friends get together and drift a hopped up -87 NA (with lsd). We set it up with stock power steering, KYB adjustable shocks on stiff as hell, with intraxx springs, more negative camber, and strut bars...freed up some torque. Were in the process of fabbing roll bars...and subframe connectors as well as locating busings to improve driver feed back since ditching PS is not a possibility.

DRIFT ON!!

~scott

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
DRIFT ON!!... and thanks for the vid!! keep up the kick ass work!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts