Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just burned out my clutch in my Supra TT. And I am totally broke, I am planning on going bpu++ buy this summer, so I would have to replace the clutch anyways. My question is what is a good clutch that will hold up to 475rwhp or so?? I was going to just get a ACT pressure plate, stock disc, throw-out and pilot bearing. And get the stock flywheel dry turned for 50 bucks. And be done with it. I know this isnt the best way to go but I am on a budget..But I have been hearing that you cannot dry turn ( resurface ) the stock clutch.... If you really cannot do this let me know. Before I end up spending more money...If you guys got any horror stories let me know...Be fore I have one for my self...
Thanks for the support,
Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris was the second person I talked to about the dry turning....He told me all about it. He really knows his stuff. Gave me some good advice.But I have heard some people saying that just to put the lightened flywheel in since the tranny dropped and save money on the labor cost of droppin it again, cause I will put it in later

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on guys I know ya'll had to replace your clutches before. So did you replace the flywheel, with a lightened one or did you resurface it.....

Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talk to Chris, he will help you out.

I used to think any flywheel can be resurfaced......definitely a low-budget solution, and I had mine done (dry)......but......now it vibrates (only around 2500 rpm, when in neutral). Its still quiet, and engages fine, but think it's out of round. I dont know how to explain the vibration otherwise. I did some tests with my tuner on a resurfaced fw, and we used micrometer to measure the play - basically our flywheels not only flex sideways, but you can also press two portions of the fw together, towards eachother, by few mm. This calls for pinching both masses together before the dry grind, and I am not sure if my machine shop did that, gotta check. If you just turn it as-is, it will wobble and you'll get uneven final surface.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any one else?? I really need aome advice..what is another setup i can so becides the RPS stage 3 sprung and a mueller light fly???That is a bit more inexpensive....

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what you want to hear. You can dry turn your stock flywheel or you can install a lightened flywheel. Both will work just fine. Just pick one and go for it. If I was in your shoes, and I was SURE that I was going to get a lightened flywheel at some point in the future, I would just get it now. Save some money. Good luck!

Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts