Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you use the stock airbag with the "air bag delete" cover?

I want to keep the airbag, I just need to replace the top vinyl cover to make it look new again.

The part number for the air bag delete is 50540-14020-C0

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
NO!
If thats the same one i purchased to remove my aor bags, the blank oem cover, it has a metal shield behind it, the stock one is break away. The delete cover does not break away and can cause serious damage

EDIT!
I was wrong, ignore this for anyone reading.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info.
Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
NO!
If thats the same one i purchased to remove my aor bags, the blank oem cover, it has a metal shield behind it, the stock one is break away. The delete cover does not break away and can cause serious damage
This information is not 100% correct. Yes you can swap covers...

The airbag delete cover is also break away as nothing is holding down the bottom part of the cover after removing the brackets. Its is direct replacement for the oem airbag cover after a little modifications. You will need to remove the brackets on the delete cover and you will not have the little plastic tabs that hold the cover to the bottom of the airbag module. The airbag delete cover will still fit snug and look great. I've replaced two covers and never had a problem. I have also seen how the passenger airbag deploys. If you search, Curt says the same information and I have included pictures for comparison...

1. Airbag Delete Cover
2. OEM Airbag
3. OEM Airbag with Cover Only
4. Airbag Deployed

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
97lapisblue, thanks so much for the great info and clarification!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
i purchased this cover hoping it would be a replacement but i think id rather delete the air bag than having this possibly come off and hit my pass. in case of an accident.

the last picture posted, is that with the delete cover modified and fitted?

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
That is not my info, I posted that from another thread, I was told not to use it as it could be potentially dangerous.
If not, then by all means go for it, its a nice update to the interior.

Edit: I just saw the curt thread.
If he says its okay then its okay.
Ignore my mis-information.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is not my info, I posted that from another thread, I was told not to use it as it could be potentially dangerous.
If not, then by all means go for it, its a nice update to the interior.

Edit: I just saw the curt thread.
If he says its okay then its okay.
Ignore my mis-information.
Oh, this wasnt a personal attack and apologize if it sounded that way.

It really cleans up the interior and I had the same debate for months until I saw first hand a deployed airbag.

Both covers are bolted to the airbag module the same way and will both perform the same when deployed. But do so at your own discretion, I will not take any responsibility :)

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Oh, this wasnt a personal attack and apologize if it sounded that way.

It really cleans up the interior and I had the same debate for months until I saw first hand a deployed airbag.

Both covers are bolted to the airbag module the same way and will both perform the same when deployed. But do so at your own discretion, I will not take any responsibility :)
No apologies necessary!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Has anybody attempted to use a heat gun and maybe a rubber mallet on the warped edges of the airbag cover to flatten it back out? Sounds risky without the airbag plug/harness disconnected but curious if this is even an option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anybody attempted to use a heat gun and maybe a rubber mallet on the warped edges of the airbag cover to flatten it back out? Sounds risky without the airbag plug/harness disconnected but curious if this is even an option.
it's probably easier to just buy a new cover and replace the old one. these vinyl warp because of heat, they dry up and shrink. even if you can heat them up and flatten it, the curl will probably come back in very short time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts