Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
C-Spec, 1994, 2JZ-GTE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The C-spec is rare... but is it a Unicorn? It seems everyone talks about the USDM and JDM... but barely anybody knows about the such small production numbers of the Canadian Market Supras... Nothing on BAT and other auctions... how is is not a major highlighted feature at these low numbers?

·
...pop the hood!
1,172 Posts
because americans no likey celsius and kilometers on instrument cluster....

j/k...not sure why, would be curious to know myself.

Reactions: 1982 dragon

·
Registered
C-Spec, 1994, 2JZ-GTE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C spec on BaT recently:
reading the comments on the BAT auction... the comments are saying it should have brought more...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree that it should've bought more but really doubt the C spec adds much premium. Intrinsically it's a low mile TT MK4 and should've fetched more just as-is. The heated seats would be nice, though! The km and celsius units are likely viewed as a demerit as that would be limiting to potential buyers and a bear to change out to US units.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the C-Specs don't have all the VIN tags that USDM Supra's do (I may be wrong). I would think that makes it harder to validate that it hasn't been in accidents or chopped up etc. I'd personally take a USDM hardtop as 1st choice...

·
Registered
C-Spec, 1994, 2JZ-GTE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the C-Specs don't have all the VIN tags that USDM Supra's do (I may be wrong). I would think that makes it harder to validate that it hasn't been in accidents or chopped up etc. I'd personally take a USDM hardtop as 1st choice...
This is true. Both mine and my buddies, both verified by Toyota C-SPEC cars, and without accidents (we have owned them for 90% of their lives) also verified by paint measures and insurance searches - both without the vin tags on the panels.

Of course, there can always be exceptions. The methods described above are not 100%... but then vin tags can be removed and replaced with skill just as easy and can not be a 100% determining factor.

A good mechanic, who knows these cars, can also get up under the car and see things. Our mechanic has, and my buddies and my car are clean dreams - VIN tags on the panel free and clean... lol.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
C-specs infact did not have the same amount of vin labels as their U.S. counterparts.

When I had both of my c-specs, there was absolutely no difference in price at that time (between 2004 - 2012).
People just ended up buying from the states because of alot more selection.

Today its hard to know if a c-spec would infact fetch more than its U.S. equivalent due to the lack of sales data to compare.

IMO, you will have to find a collector that ONLY wants a c-spec if you're looking to squeeze out every last dollar from someone. Having personally owned both versions, I couldn't care less which one I have as long as its LHD. Id probably devalue a rare car with how heavy I like to modify and how hard I like to drive anyway. I broke my car twice racing last year with 0 fucks given. Its pure enjoyment for me and not an investment. I would never buy a fun car with the expectation im not gonna lose money on it. Buy it, race it, break it, fix it and repeat.
I would definitely not feel the same if I had spent extra for a collector level car. So i feel as if you are gonna need to attract a special type of buyer.

Take this with a grain of salt because this is my own personal perspective... market might be different but this is my take:
If I was looking to buy a collector supra and money wasnt an issue, Id go with a rare colour (IJM, QS, RSP) 98 model from down south and not a c-spec. Those rare color late model cars are worth alot more than a generic red or black c-spec in my eyes. Especially to Americans which is most likely your biggest market. A high dollar supra is a tough sell in Canada. If one looks hard enough, We have a plethora of JDM and LHD cars to choose from for people that really want into each model, with a massive selection across the border on top of that... nobody is gonna over extend themselves to pay the c-spec tax that the owners want.
Rare color late models aside, I would still look for an original 6 speed hard top over a c-spec car as well.

I hope Im proven wrong, and I most likely will be because this cars market never ceases to amaze me.

·
Super Moderator
10,800 Posts
@JSS pretty much nailed it, IMO. I've been in the Supra market since late 1982 (started with a MY 1983 Celica Supra) and I have yet to see a C-spec car attract a premium solely because it was a Canadian Supra. Those that sold for good prices did so for the same reasons as USDM cars sell at a premium, excellent condition, low miles, color, 6MT, hard top, etc.

While heated seats may be desirable for some, it would not be a factor in my purchase decision. As the cars have aged, and appreciated in value, many Supra owners do not drive their cars during the winter anyway, obviating the need for heated seats.

As @JSS said, someone would have to be looking specifically for a C-spec car; otherwise, you're dealing with the same set of would-be buyers as any other LHD Supra seller.

Ken.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you really have a hard on for heated seats, I think the euro spec LHD supras had that feature + more (hood scoop, power mirrors etc) if I’m not mistaken. Always wondered what those fetch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
C-Spec unfortunately does not add value (yet).
I believe high end buyers want to have matching VIN tags.
You only get the little maple leaf sticker in the door jam. Hard to prove that the car is all original unfortunately.
However, I really loved mine. The KM dash was super handy being a LHD.

Reactions: jdm-rhd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts