Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I'm in the process of putting back together a turbo 88 destined to the scrappy, and I've got most of it together except for the AC compressor. I've got it mounted onto its bracket, all the lines bolted on, but the holes don't quite line up perfectly with the ones on the block.

I've tried to wiggle it when hanging off the studs on the front of the block, but I still can't get the bolts to thread in, despite (to my best judgment) lining up reasonably well.

I'm kind of at a loss, as it is the last of the ancilliaries that need perching off the block before I start wiring things in for good!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did this compressor come off this block? If memory serves me right there was an early year compressor and a late year compressor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know it did. There was a mix and match of 7MGE parts on this car (it came with the engine out of the car and pretty much every ancilliary in a box in the boot), but the AC compressor was ziptied onto a strut tower with its gas lines attached.

Is there any specific way it is meant to be aligned? The bolts do line up by themselves, it's when I line up the compressor bracket with the studs in the front of the engine that they don't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here's some photos. If I loosen everything I can get the lower bolt to thread in, but just barely. When I get everything lined up only the studs on the front of the block go in as they should. The ones on the intake side of the block are still misaligned.

This is how it looks like from the front

And these are the top bolt and the lower bolt on the bracket, respectively:

As you can see, there's a slight misalignment, enough for the bolts to not go in at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up jacking up the compressor with a scissor jack until the bolts fit. Works a treat, so obviously something must've knocked the studs while the engine was off.

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
Ended up jacking up the compressor with a scissor jack until the bolts fit. Works a treat, so obviously something must've knocked the studs while the engine was off.
Alternator lower bracket goes on last NOT between AC compressor bracket and front engine cover like in your pic

·
7M Fanatic
3,081 Posts
We can make it fit..........

Now take it off, and do it right, as you are dealing with cast iron, which when it's in an induced strain, can crack.
Either the block, or the bracket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We can make it fit..........

Now take it off, and do it right, as you are dealing with cast iron, which when it's in an induced strain, can crack.
Either the block, or the bracket.
The studs were bent. They aren't anymore. No need to be smug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts