Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenario, just installed a cast manifold turbo kit with a used PTE67 from KTrends on the board. Also just had the trans built by BL. Got the car up and running today and it won't build any boost at all. Also makes a weird sound at about 4k rpms, sounds like a scraping or rubbing of metal. I am still running MAF and everything is installed correctly, to my knowledge. Just won' build boost at all and makes the weird noise. The wastegate isnt opening either. Turbo will spin freely with the car off. I'm lost. Please give me any advice!!!

Matt

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the Racegate, and profec B. Have the right port of the profec box going to pressure nipple on turbo and tee'd to the side of the wastegate and the left port run to the top of the wastegate. Havent run it with the boost controller on and the pins on the back are switched for external gate. I will try in the morning with the boost controller on.

Is my hose routing correct?

S

·
0 Posts
why dont you take the boost controller off and run just the wastegate spring. see if it builds boost. It most likely sounds like your wastegate is staying open.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried it with no hoses going to the wastegate and that didn't work either.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you want to take a hose and attatch one end to the nipple on the turbo and the other end to the center port of the wg.

carlo

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Check your turbo shaft play. The bearings on mine went out, and the compressor wheel was actually hitting the housing. It made a terrible noise, like the one you are mentioning, and would NOT build any boost. See if you can move the wheel and make it hit the housing. On mine, you could move it with your hand and make it hit the housing.

Tim

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tried to move the compressor wheel, won't move. Seems good. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Seems the general consensus is that the turbo is shot. First time the car has been started with the turbo since I bought it and it's already not working?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other suggestions before I go have the turbo rebuilt?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'd check to see if either of the wheels have hit their housings (compressor or exhaust). If you don't see anything, you might want to take the housings off and see if there is any evidence on the inside that isn't readily visible.

It might not be a safe thing to do, but I'd probably take the intake pipe off (at the compressor inlet) and try to brake boost against the convertor and have someone watch/listen to see what's happening -- see if the turbo is spinning up, listen for noise, etc. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY DANGEROUS, so if you run over someone and kill them, remember that I said not to do that. :D

I'll probably head down that way this weekend (probably Saturday). Let me know if you'd like me to stop by and give a first-hand opinion.

Steve Hayes

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Are sure there is no boost leak? Seeing as you appear to have no shaft play it seems odd to me that the turbo is malfuctioning. I underestand this would have to be a huge leak, but you never know.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some pics of the compressor housing and wheel and the exhaust housing and wheel. There is a minor scrape mark on the compressor housing however it doesn't go all the way around and the wheel has absolutely no shaft play. The housing was tight as well. Starting to look less and less like the turbo is the culprit.

Pic 1, Compressor Housing:

Pic 2, Compressor Housing:

Pic 3, Compressor Wheel:

Pic 4, Exhuast Housing and wheel:

Let me know what you think.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
this may be way off, but did you do anything to your timing? mine did something similiar when i didnt get my timing lined up right when i changed my water pump....may be silly, but i thought i would mention it

good luck

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Have you checked all IC pipes/couplings for leaks? I had a TINY leak once on one of my couplings and could not build any boost...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went out day after Turkey day and messed around with a few things and tried to drive it. Before I could get out of the neighborhood it started to sputter and smoke alot. Get back home and there is oil leaking between the center and the exhaust housing on the manifold side. Take the midpipe off and the exhaust housing has oil all inside and around the wheel.

The wheel still turns however it takes kind of an effort.

Checked my couplers and pipes and hoses and valves and lines, no leaks that I can find. Didn't mess with timing either.

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts