Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know which will be better and their about the same price. Their the yellow top optima and the odyssey pc1200. Their both great batteries but Im not sure. I like the small size of the odyssey (incase I want to relocate later). The terminals on the odyssey are in the right locations but I dont know if my alternator will do fine with this application. Any of you have the odyssey? Is their any drawbacks from having this battery?

(optima)

(odyssey)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I origonally had a optima and went to a baker battery later because of relocation with the VW intake. You might want to decide if you want to relocate it and get the odyssey now that way you don't have to buy another battery later. The smaller battery will be fine as long as you don't have a massive sound system. My Baker works great and is well hidden. Here's a pic..

·
Registered
580 Posts
for an APU car what battery is best for that application? i have a 750 amp duralast and at first it was starting just fine but now i have to always give it a jump to get it going.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In highschool I ran in a sport called electrorally where we designed our own cars to run as far as possible within an hours time.

Running on pure batter with an Optima Red Top batteries(two) one of our cars ran 55miles in one hour, and still had battery power left over.

In addition the Red Top enabled us to run speeds of 65mph in another one of our cars.

Granted these cars were tremendously light, and well built with very little drag coefficient, and set close to the ground going these speeds of that distance in one hour was a great accomplishment.

This accomplishment I must give to the Optima Red Top for it put us on top of the whole league for as long as we could keep the battery we were using a secret.

As for the Trojan... Compare the Amp/Hour to weight ratio, and you will find that Optimas always outperform ANY BATTERY. Also with Cold Cranking Amps they perform a the top of the game. It would be a sure shame to not have a high capacity battery when you need it. Ohh I forgot further if that Trojan is a GEL CELL technology battery the amount of amps that can be pulled out of it will be significantly lower when compared to a Glass Mat or Wet Acid battery.

Currently Optima's are the best battery on the market, and our testing through running them with electric cars has proven this.

Ryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Optimas are OK batteries, but their support sucks...

I bought a brand new Optima...It was dOA, but because the warehouse had it for a year...Optima did not warranty it. even though I had a receipt of purchase

This happened twice to me with them. So Now i will not buy another one..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Optimas are OK batteries, but their support sucks...

I bought a brand new Optima...It was dOA, but because the warehouse had it for a year...Optima did not warranty it. even though I had a receipt of purchase

This happened twice to me with them. So Now i will not buy another one..
Just wondering, but did buy straight from the factory or did you buy from a distributor? Because Optima's come with a warranty I would give the company a call because all of our batteries (even through the wicked charge/empty/recharge cycles we put them through) were warranted, and replaced.

Ryan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also one more thing...

You may e-mail us at:

[email protected]

The Marketing and Sales Department at OPTIMA® Batteries is committed to providing quality customer service to its customers and the end-users of our product.

The support that OPTIMA provides doesn't stop when the purchase is made. We want you to know that we place a high value on all of our customers and will strive to provide each person with the attention and details that are required to keep your business and support.

Our customer service desk is open from 8:00am to 5:00pm (MT) Monday through Friday to service you. Please feel free to contact us by phone, fax, mail, or via e-mail.

Optima Batteries, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
17500 E. 22nd Avenue
Aurora, CO 80011

Toll Free: 888-8OPTIMA (888-867-8462)
Phone: 303-340-7440
Fax: 303-344-9905

Give them a ring....Im sure they will be willing to work with you depending on how long ago you purchased the battery.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just wondering, but did buy straight from the factory or did you buy from a distributor? Because Optima's come with a warranty I would give the company a call because all of our batteries (even through the wicked charge/empty/recharge cycles we put them through) were warranted, and replaced.

Ryan
From a large distributor...The Distributor said they were having difficulties with Optima..

Who knows could be BS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also one more thing...

You may e-mail us at:

[email protected]

The Marketing and Sales Department at OPTIMA® Batteries is committed to providing quality customer service to its customers and the end-users of our product.

The support that OPTIMA provides doesn't stop when the purchase is made. We want you to know that we place a high value on all of our customers and will strive to provide each person with the attention and details that are required to keep your business and support.

Our customer service desk is open from 8:00am to 5:00pm (MT) Monday through Friday to service you. Please feel free to contact us by phone, fax, mail, or via e-mail.

Optima Batteries, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
17500 E. 22nd Avenue
Aurora, CO 80011

Toll Free: 888-8OPTIMA (888-867-8462)
Phone: 303-340-7440
Fax: 303-344-9905

Give them a ring....Im sure they will be willing to work with you depending on how long ago you purchased the battery.
I suppose it couldn't hurt to try huh?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suppose it couldn't hurt to try huh?

Well to be honest with you out of the 14 Optima red tops we have none of them are disfunctional. I would tell them of the distributor you bought from, and how they are talking bad about Optima.

Also just a note, but the distributor is usually the one who warehouses the batteries, not the producer. So in essence yes you got ran around the mulberry tree by whoever talked to you.

Ryan

·
Registered
516 Posts
Optimas suck ! I have had yellow tops ..red tops.. blue tops they have all sucked... My brother has had to replace his 3 times already because they do not last..They are also heavy as shit..

Go with Braille as they seem to be the top of the line bat right now..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not on a supra, but on an IS300 which probably has a good amount of more electronics stock than the supra + my audio system.

Been running STRONG for the last year and cranks just as great as the stock battery. This is the PC925 battery.

·
1,070 Posts
My friend had bad experiences with Optima batteries, the red, blue, and yellow top. I have a Hawker/Odyssey PC680 and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a Odyssey PC680 for 2 years. It never started as strong as a full size battery but did the job and was worth the weight trade off. After 2 years, it's died. Battery was obviously bloated as well. I've since switched to the PC925 and there's no going back. Few more pounds but way more CCAs. It's a good size/weight compromise IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must have bought at least 5 odyssey batteries for my civic. (be nice now) I found that if I left the car for a week or two without use, I couldn't get it to take a charge. These were the old es12v650's and I have heard on the grapevine that odyssey have now changed their chemistry so the batts are more long lasting (i assume this would coincide with the change in name to 680)

I decided to go with an optima yellow top for the NSX, and that has been off the road for about 18 months now. (you know.... decided it would only take me a few weeks to build the turbo setup.....) every now and then I charge up the optima and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Optima's always bring up a lot of controversy it seems. Personally I've owned a couple of Red Tops and always had good luck with them, never died on me and always started right up. Then again every other battery I've had has also started right up as long as I drive it every few weeks.

·
Letterkenny
272 Posts
It's been roughly 2 weeks now, that I've had my Odyssey PC680 installed with the TooPrecise.com battery hold down tray, and I have no complaints. This was the last missing piece, before I could take my car out of winter storage. I installed the battery, and pulled the EFI #1 fuse so I could get the oil to the upper part of the engine. I did this 3-4 times for 5-10 seconds with the PC680, then replaced the fuse and fired her up. No problems at all. I also left the battery for a few days, and came back on the weekend to go for a drive. Again, no problems on start up. Fired up the first try.

I'd say, if you leave your car idle for more than a week, even two, I'd get a Battery Tender, ACI battery charger or something similar. Just to keep it topped up.

If you have a pretty booming system in your car, and like to run it with the car off, then I'd suggest the PC925 or higher. The PC680 has a small reserve time just shy of 30mins. But since I am running a kickin' OEM system, I'm not too worried. :)

Here's a few pics of it installed in my car.

The fuse block is now bigger than the battery..

Lotsa room now to change those headlight bulbs, and shedding about 20lbs+ off front end weight.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks. :wavey:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts