Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, car heats up, starts to putter like its misfiring. I changed the wires, plugs, dist, the cap and the rotor as well, all of it. Still does it when the car heats up. I cant figure out whats causing this to happen for the life of me. 2 months its been doing it ever since I had a coolant hose leak over the entire engine bay and it got mostly on the MAF sensor, belt, distributor, battery. The hose was the one thats slightly to the left and under the thermostat housing. I fixed it then this BS started.

Theres a little temp sensor or SOMETHING located above the thermostat and back just a little thats corroding and hardly stays on but I cant find anyone to tell me wtf it is. So no idea if thats it.

Its a 86.5 7M-GE, no clue what this is, if ANYONE can throw me ideas Id appreciate it.

O and I ran the diagnostics thing, light blinked twice then waiting about 5 or 6 seconds, and just blinked the twice the same way again. Over and over.

Also, pulled off each wire from the distributor one by one while the car was running, each pull made it misfire and the car ran worse, thats how I know its not misfiring.

Could this be the crank pulley timing. I havent checked but it says at IDLE it should be at 700rpms n the crank pully at 10 degrees. Could this not being set right cause all of this? I did play with the dist a little and it didnt change the puttering.

Last but not least, the car idles at around 900rpms right now, but when all this crap happens first its like 650, then after driving around, its around 1100rpms.

EDIT, Just checked the error code the right way, blink........blink..........................blink........blink..........................

error code 11 right? So the ECU, would that cause this crap to happen? Friend who sold it to me is gonna tell its not the ECU bc he replaced it not long ago, but its starting to piss me off bad. Im gonna blow this thing up soon.

EDIT 2: Reset ECU, code gone, still doin it... gonna check that crank thing.

K, without a timing light, I have no idea how to check this timing crap. I know i had the engine cam gears at TDC when I put the dist back in, but I didnt check the crank pulley. Also, how do I adjust the crank pully? do I put the cam gears at TDC and then use a wrench to adjust it to the 10 degree mark? the realign the dist nad put it in?

I need a little info on this procedure and if this could be it.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Take the Timing cover off, and there are marks on the timing belt and one of the timing pulleys, gah if I had my friends supra in front of me I could give you detailed directions... but anyway, there should be a white mark on the belt and the lower pulley (I believe) You gotta hook the timing light up to the proper stuff and shine the light on the pulley with the mark and every time it flashes the two marks should match. And you adjust the light until they match, and that will tell you how far off it is from top dead center. Not a hard procedure...

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
took off the top of the cover before, the two white marks on the cam gears lined up to TDC, but I never checked if the crank pulley was lined up to 10 degrees then or not. when I had it at TDC, I changed the dist and aligned it with it, then turned it til I had 800rpms at idle. I dont have a timing light, do I ABSOLUTELY need this? if so where will I get one and how much?

Could my AFM be causing this if theres a bad connection?

·
690 Posts
Me and my buddy tried doing it witout one, turns out we went 50 degress past, thinking it was all good. YOU NEED A TIMING LIGHT!

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well how much is one and where?

And if the timing is OFF, what do I adjust? and how? and why does it only do this when the car is heated up, when its cooled off its fine.

·
690 Posts
You adjust it with the distributor. Turning it on the rotor. Me and my buddy did it while the car was running and you could hear and see the difference. I can't explain why it only does it when its hot, but I am pretty sure that this is the problem. It sounds just like my buddys car after our HG job. I just know that doing this fixed his problem. You can get a timing light at your local parts store. Or, if you have a friend who owns a shop or someone who would let you do it at his house, you could always take that route, and they run like $200 but will NEVER fail you EVER I'm buying one with my next paycheck... Lol

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
when I had it in but unbolted I turned it both ways, advancing and retarding the timing, either way slow as I could go, car didnt get better whatsoever. The other day I was doing this with my old dist and we took it to 700rpms idle and the car ran amazingly, but not a day later did it start doin the misfire feeling again when I was driving for a while. Im gonna check with a shop I used to work at, see if they will let me use it, they always let me use everything else for free if Im doin it myself.

First time in, the car wouldnt start, reset the cam gears at TDC (Dead on too) and then realigned the dist and stuck it back in. Its not a BRAND new dist but its got a brand new rotor and cap I got today. The car turned on but was still putterin, adjusted it, got the rpms to 800 but still screwy.

·
690 Posts
*lists various problems that could cause this* Stuck/clogged injector, Air Flow Meter.. uhhhh Also theres the timing pulley, I can't remeber what it is you do with it, but if its off it effects timing too..

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was thinking, the coolant leak I had sprayed the AFM, got in the connection, but only effects it when It gets hot cuz it was coolant (i dont know)

Anyways, I have another AFM I could put on, is it worth the shot?

Also I have 6 injectors (used) in a box in the back, dont know if they are turbo or non turbo but they look pretty clean.

O I forgot to mention... Fuel filter hasnt been changed in ages I dont think, but the other day I finally changed from regular to premium gas and 3 mins after I put it in, the car started to run like a dream, just stopped sputtering... 2 days later started again (same premium gas) so now I really dont know. but just thought Id throw that in.

I also changed the oil today, put 5 qts in, thats the right amount right? 10w-40 NON syn,

Also when I slowly give it gas in neutral I can hear this ticking noise that speeds up with the accel. What is that

·
690 Posts
Okay Ticking = EGR I KNOW this is the problem. I went through EXTENSIVE testing to just find that my EGR wafer was crispy and burnt. Also the ticking could be valve tick or injector tick. I had all three on my GE. And yes change the Fuel Filter. We do it at Jiffy Lube for $69.99. I would rather them do it cause its a BITCH to get to. Yes try the other AFM, and Turbo and Nonturbo Injectors are different sizes, so stick with your current ones.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
how do I fix the EGR and where is it exactly is it located on this car and how much is the fix?

Never heard of injector tick b4, but the injectors like I said I dont know if they are turbo or non, how do I tell?

Fuel filter Ill do myself I can reach it. Its just last time I tried (last week) to take it off I twisted the metal line coming off the tank b4 the filter, I got it back in place but I feel its weaker now. I dont know what exactly to take off and where with that thing. $69 is alot for a filter thats only $10.

·
690 Posts
Fix = get a new wafer Location = Top right of engine bay above the Intake Manifold It has a cap that pops up and has three vacuum lines going into it with a straw braided line on bottom. Under the cap is the wafer.

·
690 Posts
I just took the one out of my friends 94 NA MKIV, Hes a lucky bastid and swapping in a JDM 2JTT, Dirty is better than crispy! :D

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im almost inclined to take a flashlight outside right now and check my EGR valve and see if its crispy or not, cuz now Im curious. I read the TSRM, kinda overlooked, am I right in guessing if its fried that this stutter could be bc of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts