Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont see how you can get the upper bolt that holds the starter onto the block/flywheel assembly off. i got the lower one off and the 2 cables but the upper one is like im possibly to reach with any tools. I got a socket up there but then i cant get the wrench to fit. i got a box end wrench that has the socket wrench action but its too thick to fit on the under side of the bolt. I tried reaching it from the top but my arm wont fit down. And it looks like theres no room for movement (wrench) or anything in the available area. HOW DO YOU GET IT OFF. grr im gettin so frustrated with it. do i have to take off the intake mani? or take out the engine? i already made a post about if the starter was bad or not and it was and asked for help on how-to on the last one but i never really got any exact answers. The closest was a tsrm diagram of where everything was. and directions that just said ''unbolt it, take it off'' not ''this is how you get to the bolts ...blah blah" etc.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I'm not totally sure since you have a slightly different manifold than me, but I would try to get it from the top. I just had to replace the heater hose that goes right over that starter bolt -- so I know its a bitch to get in there (my cut up hands can attest to that).

I would remove all of the vacume hoses from that area of the manifold. You may want to consider removing the EGR -- but you would need new gaskets. But with that crap out of the way it should be relatively easy

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts

thts the only way i know:confused:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I went the opposite - several extensions and put the ratchet out the front of the engine bay. So I was running the ratchet between the alternator and the A/C compressor, with extensions running under the intake mani all the way back to the starter.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
No No, first you need to put a jack under the rear of the Tranny and take out all four Transmission mount bolts. Let the transmission down quite a ways it might just stop by it self, but just make sure it is resting on jack not engine. Take a wrench in your LEFT hand and go in between brake master cylinder and intake manifold and then on top of starter. You need a flash light to shine so you can see the head of the bolt or nut on the engine side of the starter. Verycarefully fit the boxed end over the nut or head and then leave it. Now back to under the car, either go up with universal and extensions right behind where the bellhousing mates the tranny, or run a big line of extensions from back to the bolt. Air Ratchet helps a bunch and make sure you extensions are in good shape. If not you are going to either cussing up a storm, busted lip, or both. Later.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
You can do it with the car fully assembled. Use a universal joint and lots of extensions going back to the rear of the tranny. Once you have it loose, disconnect the ratchet and turn the extensions with your hand.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ah i never though of going from the front of the car or rear of tranny. But it wont fit from the rear of the tranny will it. because the tranny slopes up and then when if reaches the bolt finally, your now in front of the bottom of the firewall. Well the start anyways. And believe me 87silversupraturbo, the storms already started. And no way is the engine coming out cassio...i just did all of that 3 months ago :p

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
lol, well im getting ready to put mine back.... so this thread will help me one day :)

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Lower rear of tranny, you can do it this way even if it slopes up you just need an universal on the end and have some one guide you from top by sight. I just got done doing this like 30 mins ago, finished putting my tranny back in.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No need to do all that....go to Sears, get yourself a slightly curved wrench with 12mm and 14mm closed ends...don't remember the part number, but it is about a foot long. Use that to get to the bolt, works like a charm. That starter is a PITA to get to.....
Good luck.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Dropping the transmission, removing the intake manifold, taking the motor out?? :scratch: :wtf:

Try this: http://users3.ev1.net/~hmillerjr/starter/
There are 2 pages, click on pictures for larger images.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I started to do mine then called a local shop. They quoted me $40Cdn to install the starter. i gave then the car....then had a beer. It was worth my 40bucks!

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
You guys are all nuts!LOl
ONE (1) 18" extension
ONE universal adapter.
one 12 socket

go from the back of the tranny (as mentioned earlier). and wrestle with a a box end wrench to get it on the nut. Breaking one's wrist to produce another elbow is recommended.
I can change my starters in about 20 min.
DUE to the damn things only lasting a month.Til I paid for OEM

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's probably much easier if you don't have the ac compressor attached, it's a whole lot easier to get in thru the front

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
joliroger4's the winner. My lexus lead tech. friend came over and lent me some of his extensions and socket and i went up through the rear of the tranny. With a light wedged down there i had perfect vision of it. Easy. the only hard part was putting the bolt back on

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yeah- If you raise the front up, get under the car, and look forward down the left side of the tranny up towards the back of the cylinder head, you can get a nice view of that bolt, and a couple of extensions, and a universal joint or wobble extension just before the socket- It works great. As far as getting the bolt/nut back in, well, it's sometimes tough to get the nut started back onto the bolt.- HEY- just a thought: Maybe it's worth just cutting a big-ass hole in the lower firewall...hmm....

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
HEY- just a thought: Maybe it's worth just cutting a big-ass hole in the lower firewall...hmm....
I like that idea! The starter sure is a pain in the butt... I just installed my new built motor and I can't connect the rear knock sensor because my starter is in the way... So now I get to pull the starter for one damn wire... The joy of it!

- Hams.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
91 starter takes me 30 minutes to remove. Reason is the starter is threaded for the bolts, no nuts to remove.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Dominic said:
91 starter takes me 30 minutes to remove. Reason is the starter is threaded for the bolts, no nuts to remove.
:D
Now to convert my '86.5 on over to the '91-92 style... the existing starter's bolts are stuck on so frickin tight, not even a breaker bar could persuade them loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts