Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I can't seem to get the airbag light to turn off. I have the ignition turned to the ON position and I plugged speaker wires into the diagnostic port TC and AB, and tapped the other ends against the negative post of the battery. What happens is the cruise control light blinks accordingly, but nothing happens with the airbag light. Anyone else have similar problems like this? I'm just curious if somehow the wiring is messed up. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried the same thing and the airbag light is still on, after following the tech-tip from MKIV.com

I may try it again w/someone actually looking at the light. Says it may blink while you're jumping the terminals.... I guess if it blinks, it means you can stop and the airbag light turns off (?).

·
Registered
342 Posts
You just have to keep trying over and over. Keep alternating the 2 terminals using different speeds and time you hold it to the ground. It helps to have someone sit in the driver seat and watch the light. It will start to flicker when you are getting close to the right alternating time. It took me at least 30 min of doing it over and over when I did mine and it was aggrevating. But just keep trying, mine's been off over ayear now with no problems.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i have tried it for about a half an hour and it will flicker everytime i touch the AB terminal and go off for about a second, then as soon as i touch the other one it will come back on. i have tried many sequences varying the speed in between and the time i have been touching the negative terminal. what am i doing wrong and would it be possible to have the toyota dealership turni it off because that might be easier. thanx

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
I have followed the instructions as detailed many time on MkIV.com and it solved the problem every time. Are you switching and alternating the speed in time that you are touching the wires to the battery terminal?

David

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have done it numerous times, usually within 5 minutes of trying...

The proper speed to do it is about .5 second for each touch.....in other words, TC --> AB should take about 1 second total. Also, make sure that you do not leave any gap when you touch them.....it should be a continuous pattern of TC-AB-TC-AB.

The light will flicker for a couple of seconds, and if you did it correctly it will stay off....if you didnt it will come back on.

Asheesh

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
asheesh88 said:
I have done it numerous times, usually within 5 minutes of trying...

The proper speed to do it is about .5 second for each touch.....in other words, TC --> AB should take about 1 second total. Also, make sure that you do not leave any gap when you touch them.....it should be a continuous pattern of TC-AB-TC-AB.

The light will flicker for a couple of seconds, and if you did it correctly it will stay off....if you didnt it will come back on.

Asheesh
exactly
i couldnt do it at first because i was alternating
1 sec for each.
.5 works.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just had my dash apart for a wide-band install and turned mine off with the MKIV.com instructions. Just for some clarification on the instructions, you just need to have a body ground hooked up to the wire that you use, not the battery. I used an alligator clip that connected to the hood hook on the pass. side and used a paper clip on the other end to touch the terminals. You just have to have the correct speed to turn it off. It took me about 5 minutes to get the correct timing, but it went off eventually.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input so far, but for mine, I have the CRUISE CONTROL LIGHT flickering on and off while I'm doing it. Is that normal? I'm going to have to try again tomorrow and see if I can get the pattern down. Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TurboXpress said:
Thanks for all the input so far, but for mine, I have the CRUISE CONTROL LIGHT flickering on and off while I'm doing it. Is that normal? I'm going to have to try again tomorrow and see if I can get the pattern down. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Anyone??? :dunno:

·
The Boost Machine
490 Posts
I could never get the MKIV method to work at over 1 hour trying.
So I took the bulb out problem solved.
I have plans to have my air bags out anyway. Aftermarket steering wheel and gauges in the passenger side airbag location.

Not for everyone but works.

David

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the same problem on my celica. Back then didn't have a supra, so I didn't know about the great resources that mkiv.com offers. I had tried getting it fixed at Toyota the suckers had it for a day and couldn't figure it out $150 later, they wanted me to pay an additonal $50 an hour for a min of 5-6hrs to go through whole electrical system. So I said f**k that! My boyfriend removed the bulb for me. I was very happy after that!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used the MKIV.com method and had my light of within 60 seconds. Just make sure you have your wires in the right slots TC and AB.....that diagram on the lid is a bit small and I looked about 10 times just to make sure I had the right connections. I also counted 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 etc.-etc. when I was timing my switches.

Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cite95 said:
I could never get the MKIV method to work at over 1 hour trying.
So I took the bulb out problem solved.
I have plans to have my air bags out anyway. Aftermarket steering wheel and gauges in the passenger side airbag location.

Not for everyone but works.

David
The mkiv method never worked for me so i also just pulled the bulb. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can you get the light to stay off when you have a aftermarket steering wheel? I used that method before and it worked but now that i took out my steering wheel airbag i was wondering if that will make it stay on no matter what

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm...no one seems to be answering my other question...

Does your CRUISE light blink when you are trying this? Mine does, so I was thinking either something is wired wrong or I'm inserting into the wrong terminals.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dammit.....I tried it again today for about 15 mins and still no luck.

Everytime I touch one of the wires it blinks the Cruise control light. The airbag light hasn't even flinched!!! This is very frustrating :mad:

I'll eventually get it one day.........:dunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts