Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my engine rebuilt and I put it back in and I can't get it to idle right. The cams are in sync with the crank perfectly, it's as close to 10 degrees BTDC as I can get it with a loping idle. I have replaced every hose on the engine and I'm pretty sure I don't have any vacuum leaks because it actually idles better when I pull a hose off if it's running. It won't stay running long unless I give it gas and then it still misses. With the AFM unplugged in 'safe mode' it runs perfectly.

Any ideas what's going on?

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
sk88flip said:
bad afm! if you want one let me know
Your logic is bad, its probably not a bad afm. When you unplug the AFM the car just runs stupid rich. Just because the problem goes away when you unplug the AFM doesnt mean the AFM is bad.

I honestly think you have some vacuum leaks.

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my reasoning here is if I had vacuum leaks, why would pulling off say, the IC to fender pipe make it run great(this is with the AFM plugged in BTW).

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Check TPS, CPS, AFM. Ive been through the same shit. AFM wiring was jacked, wasnt gettin AFM signal. Fixed it. Now, found out TPS is dead.

Check timing several times, ESPECIALLY the CPS. Then TPS, AFM (actual AFM and wiring to and from ECU). hope that helps.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
check your fuel pressure, and ISC. ISC should be in spec as per TSRM, and should click a few times when u shut down. I had the same problem, and it was because of a bad fuel pressure regulator. But thats just me.

~scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
i got the same thing going on here to i cant get the idle to go above 200 and when i give it gas it only revs to 1000 and is running pig rich . alos when i rev it wants to build boost to. i have checked tps.cps,and another afm of an 89. help sorry about the thread jack i also changed the fpr to the one off my good head and still no na vac leaks either

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Sounds like vacuum leaks to me too. Spray starting fluid on you vacuum lines and you'll soon find it.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
sounds just like boost leaks guys, pig rich, not revving high. Get some brake cleaner, and or a fog machine and determine whats really goin on. If u have any friends taht Dj just use a DJ fog machine, worked for me!

~scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
darn all of you i hate it when you are right. thanks for all the help. i blew the charge pipe right off the turbo. still connected but big ass hole in the side of it

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I still can't solve my idle problem, the car runs and drives great, but under about 1k rpm it jumps up and down and stalls sometimes. I tried the fog machine trick, and couldn't tell anything was leaking. I've been replacing hoses and clamps all over. TPS checked out, cleaned the ISC and it works good, AFM seems to be ok because it drives fine. I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
what codes are coming up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts