Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Pheonix Gold Xenon 200.4 AMP for my mids , at 930's watts and a max current draw of 120 amp (recommended fuse size) and a Power acoustics Mono amp for my Sub that has 2300 watts and a max current draw of (160 amps) , both amps are class D , i have a 94 NA auto, my alternator dives the amps but at high demand will start to drop the normal 14.01volts to 12...11...10 so forth , how can i calculate the size of the capacitors i would need to use to have a steady 14 volts deliverd to both amps. 1 faurd is supposably 1000 amps , but is their a more accurate way ? annother thing , when i run my fuse upfront by the battery i will need a 280amp ANL fuse or more since the sum of both reccomended fuse sizes is 280? So should i got with a 300amp upfront , doesnt sound too safe.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
actually now its about 1 farad for 100 watts. if you can, just go with a HC alt. and be done with it. a cap is kind of like band-aid but will get the job done. visit www.batcap.net, they have great stuff. also do you have a deep cycle batt. and the big 3 upgraded?

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope , i dont have a deep cycle or a 3 . Im on a normal battery. I am hoping that i wont need a high performance alternator change. I rather stick with a cap. that will make up for it. Could you estimate what rating of capacitor i would need? Figure 930w+1800w would be like 273 uF. A High performace alt. is probably around 600 bux.

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
Ive always done 1 farad per 1000W max draw. So that would be a 3 fared caps for your situation. I also use a high output alternator though. The Alt is the best bet. You can get them for 250 or so not 600 new(excluding PHR). It may be easier to just get your current alternator respun. It will go from about 100 amp to 145-160amp depending on who does it. Then just a simple 1 fared cap should cover you. Get at least a 1 fared cap for now. If its still a drastic promblem go for the ALT.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
ya a respun alt. should only be about 200-300. i have a deep cycle batt. and when i had my jl 500/1 i put a 1 fared cap on it really didn't do anything, i still had voltage problems. that is why this time i'm going to get a batcap. it might seem expensive but if you add up the price for all the normal caps that it would take to equal a bat cap, it will be a lot cheaper in the end. there's a guy on e-bay that sells them everyday, check that out.

damn i should be a spokesman for batcap :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts