Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a capacitor goes bad will it cause the battery to be drained? I tested my battery drain with a voltmeter and it dropped significantly when I pulled the power wire out of the distribution block connected to my 2 capacitors.

My theory was that if the capacitors are bad and not holding a charge they will continue to pull voltage from the battery without retaining any charge, thus killing the battery?

I'm not really sure how they are wired but heres a description if this helps....there are 2 distribution blocks, one with a large gauge blue wire running into it which looks like it is connected to the battery and 2 white wires running out of it, one running to one positive side of the cap and another running to the positive side of the 2nd capacitor. Then there is another distribution block with 2 smaller red wires running into it and 2 white wires running out of it, same output setup, with 1 white wire running to each positive side of the cap, so each capacitor has 2 wires running to its positive probes.

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
i would just due away from a capacitor. on my old setup in my prelude all i did was upgrade the big 3 (look that up) in the engine bay along with deep cycle battery

i was running 2 zapcos (c2k 6.0 x 2) for 12w7 and diamond hex components

capacitors are waste of money imo

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if somethings draining the battery well enough its not going to matter what kind of battery you have

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recently had the same problem, something was draining my battery and yesterday I discovered that it was my capacitor. Because it was broken, it tried to charge it self constantly, therefore draining my battery. Unplugg that Cap or buy a new one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts