Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

well a couple of weeks ago I had my IC pipe on the intake side cut to weld the HKS BOV flange on it and installed the BOV. I am not using the stock BOV and blocked off the parts where the stock BOV used to be. Couple days after my check engine light came on. Car seems to feel the same but only think different maybe is the exhaust note, not as loud. Car idles fine and all, not sure what can cause this or maybe it might actually be something else wrong with the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike D

·
SupraMadic
907 Posts
Best thing to do is go to a local autozone. Get them to do a obd scan on it so see what code it is. Btw its free! :)

·
Hardtop >
1,161 Posts
Not sure if this has anything to do with the CEL, but most people who are on stock twins with an HKS SSQV find it better to run an HKS SSQV and the stock BOV at the same time. Try installing your stock bov in the stock location and see if anything happens.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, will get a code scan later on today. Also will try and install the stock BOV if it makes a difference. By the way, what do you mean by CEL?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just went to auto zone...and it seems like my car is running too "lean"?? I think it's running rather rich than lean...smells like a motha! I'm gonna reset it and then see if it comes back, but anyone ever had this problem??

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CEL came back on...so i guess my car is running too "lean." What can cause this and how can I fix this problem?

Thanks!

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
When it tells you that it´s lean even though it smells like fucking rich I would bet your O2 sensor went bad.
That is pretty usual when they are worn out.
If you have the chance (a simple narrow band monitor) connect it with the cable of the O2 sensor to the ECU and if it tells you also "lean" and it´s smoking like hell you´ll know what to change..;)
But it´s a PITA to change the #1 sensor since the nuts are often shrinked a bit due to the heat and age and then when trying to unscrew it it will give it the rest:(
So be careful when doing that...
Gerd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot..will try that. Well my car seems to also have alot of white smoke coming out the exhaust at times, not always. any idea?

Thanks!

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
No prob, bro..
White or blueish smoke? There´s a big difference..When exactly does this occure? At start up or while boosting or idling?
Blueish smoke at start up is most likely the valve stem seals. That is also a very common issue since our babies are a little older in the meanwhile and these are hardening when getting older and getting cracky..
Gerd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well its def. white smoke. It occurs only sometimes, when I come to a complete stop....then I see alot of white smoke coming out. I mean not like pure white white smoke, but noticably white.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It had this code for both sensors, P0171 System too Lean. I resetted it and then couple hours later the CEL came back on, most likely the same reason.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dont many people have problems with thier usdm 2jz'z with the MAF? somthing about if you recirculate the BOV it fixes some problems like the one you were talking about.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Mhh, white smoke means usually burned water while blueish smoke means burned oil. If it is white check the coolant if there are traces of oil in or if you are missing some coolant. And open the oil filler cap and see if there is some white foam underneath. Maybe your headgasket is somehow damaged?!
@dOcktor
In that case (open BOV) it would richen up the mixture somewhat but the error code says too lean. I don´t think this is the root cause in this case.

@SupraPimpTT
Just double check the readings of the O2 sensors with a cheap and simple narrow band monitor tool (they are going for some bucks on ebay) and compare it with the spark plugs. If it says too lean and the plugs are black like hell the sensors are gone.

Gerd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well CEL just went away by itself...not even resetting it again. Should i worry about this or just not think of it? It actually went away after some strong pulls on the hwy. not much white smoke anymore too..hehe...STRANGE!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts