Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Does any one know how to remove the stock alarm to go back to stock? I'm looking into an aftermarket alarms with remote start and proximity sensors [I want the kind if you stick your hand in the car...the alarm goes off] and I need help choosing one. Some or the basic features I'd like to have are:

Keyless Entry
Remote Start (Supra is automatic)
Proximity sensors
Hood/door/hatch pin triggers
"Turbo timer" option...does anyone sucessfully have this installed?

Any comments/experiences are welcome.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
You could pull the fuse for it.

But honestly, just leave it in.

The turbotimer is relatively easy to wire up with the alarm. Compustar and Clifford Avantguard 4 are two systems that have built in turbo timers and remote start.

I've always liked Clifford,I use them. But with the recent buy-out by Directed Electronis, I opted to go for the Viper 800ESP. My friend works for a shop in town that does VIpers so he is really good with them. He is a very anal person when it comes to wiring up his friends cars so he will do an awesome job with mine.

I got the alarm for $120 new, discounted of course. Prox. sensor and backupbattery siren are another $20 and $15 respectively. I'm also doing remote start on mine, 6speed. Your stock pins will be retained for alarm triggering.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Suggest you run a search on this forum as this issue was discussed extensively - you'll find your answers in no time.

Jay :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Does any one know how to remove the stock alarm to go back to stock?

I'm assuming what you want to do is disable the factory non-keyless entry, right? The easiest way to do that is to ground the hood switch wire - (on my '97 it was solid grey) that connects to the door lock/security ECU. Once that is done, the unit senses that the hood is open all the time and won't activate. That is also how the Factory keyless entry works, if you had added it in to your system (i.e you lose the hood sw.). You can retain the hood switch function if you ground the ecu and use the now separate hood switch circuit wire in your alarm circuit.

If you don't have experiance with alarm installs I don't recommend doing this yourself- the Supra is not an easy car to learn on. Expect to pay some serious money for a clean install of the features you mention, its at least an 8-hour job.

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like installing a alarm system is really hard. How about just a basic alarm with remote door control? Thanks.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Where is the keyless entry control unit located? Also does it control the alarm? I have keyless on my car, but the small red light in front{top} of the dash which flashes for the alarm is not working. What do I check?:rolleyes:

·
1500+ rwhp member
912 Posts
Keyless/Factory Alarm

randy said:
Where is the keyless entry control unit located? Also does it control the alarm? I have keyless on my car, but the small red light in front{top} of the dash which flashes for the alarm is not working. What do I check?:rolleyes:
Mine was located behind the glove box on the right hand side. Also be careful when installing the alarm. For your door locks it gives a positive pulse under the dash but it needs to be tapped at module with a negative pulse otherwise you will damage the module. Also you need to leave the factory module in for you factory power locks to work. I do suggest getting someone that has installed alarms in a supra before. This is NOT a typical alarm install. Let me know if I can be of any help. Richard

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
does anyone know how to program the turbo timer into the clifford alarm? I currently have it right now but everytime i need to pull the negative fuse for my battery my turbo timer is reset and will not work,

thanks

curtis

D

·
0 Posts
i have clifford 8000

i have autoguard 8000 with remote start(6spd), dual shock sensor, duel proxi sensor, and Blitz timer wired onto it.

got mine done at custom car alarm.. payed an arm and a leg.. but i know the shit is good.

plus can't beat the look on the faces of the people.. when the car starts out of nowhere when they are checking it out.. hehe:D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've got a crimestopper with remote start and built in turbo timer. The alarm has outputs to turn on and off a factory alarm. When I arm the aftermarket alarm the stock alarms arms with it and vise versa. Works great. My point being, it's not necessary to get rid of the factory alarm. Why not use it also? It was only two extra wires to hook up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts