Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car is cursed. I have had it for more than 6 yrs, and It brakes more than any other persons car on the forums.
I just bought a 60-1 upgrade, and a brand spanken new wire harness and finished installing it yesterday. When I started the car up it seamed to be missing.
When I took it on its maiden voyage I noticed some hesitation, so I rolled both windows down and went back to the garage. To my suprise the passenger window would not roll up, but I wish thats were my problems ended. I pulled out the #1 spark plug and noticed the cylinder in the middle of the spark plug was cracked. (cylinder= round thing in the middle of the spark plug that arks a spark to the metal tab) Then I shinned my flash light down into thae # 1 cylinder and could not see the piston because of the puddle of coolant on top of it!
I am pretty sure my hg is blown, mind you it is a fully built motor with a 1.2 mm hks metal hg with less than 10,000 miles on it. Before the 5 miles the car was driven with the upgraded turbo I had a stock ct-26 pushing under 12 lbs. of boost, wtf would cause my head gasket to blow?
Anyway if my head is cracked I am done with this pos. Wednesday I am going to have a compression check done to verify a bhg. I love this car but it has been nothing but headaches since I have owned it. This weekend I am going to tear the head off and if it is cracked I am done so watch the for sale section. Wish me luck. Eric

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
MKIII supras + falling apart goes together.

what else is new?

I've own a 88 honda accord, 88 celica gt, 92 subaru svx, 92 nissan 300zx, and this 90 supra has got to be the worst car ever.

it's been in the repair/garage longer than the time i actually own it.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
If it makes you feel better, we've owned my car for about 6 years now. Its been mine for the last 4(was originally my sisters car), and I JUST DROVE IT FOR THE 1ST TIME 2 WEEKS AGO WITH A FUNCTIONING TURBOCHARGER.

Dont give up man, suck it up, fix it, enjoy it again. (But if you do decide to sell it, any aftermarket parts for sale??)

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,911 Posts
Heads don'y just crack unless over heating or some other major problem. Detonation is also a major problem so don't fault the car for your lack of haveing it tuned or over heating problem. Just tear it doewn and fix it. When done right these engines are very reliable. Doing it wrong and cheap cost you more every time.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
These are very reliable cars. I just bought a new 89 that sat for 3 years and Ive been driving it every day since with no problems. I did a tune up and brakes but thats it.

My old one I daily drove even in the winter. The HG was blown when i got it but after that I never really had a problem.

I guess when you get in to the high HP numbers that changes.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Kroze said:
MKIII supras + bad engine builders+ falling apart =goes together.

what else is new?
fixed :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a problem during the rebuild. Was the head torqued down properly?
Also, you could've had coolant in the spark plug area and when you removed the spark plug it went in the whole onto the piston. Be sure before you waste good $$$.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,911 Posts
Keep em stock and don't boost over 300rwhp and they will last. Do a cheap build and don't tune properly and boom!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts