Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

This is totally perplexing me. I have an SP63 and an SP fuel system, VPC, AFR. etc. The car is well dialed in on the dyno, but it has this oddball problem.

After I make a hard pull through the gears, and then come to a stop, the idle drops really low, and the car just dies. I can usually just get it to start right up, but I can't figure out why the hell it just dies sometimes when I come to a stop.

Tonight, it even decided to just die while the turbo timer was counting down. It was idling fine, then started idling low, then just died, all before the turbo timer even shut off.

I put a brand new battery in the car tonight because I was getting some funky voltage signals. Could the alternator be bad? Would a bad alternator cause the car to die at a stop?

I know it isn't intercooler pipes or anything like that. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Mark

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that. Unfortunately, nobody ever figured out what the problem was.

Anyone?

This is driving me nuts.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i used to have the same problem too...when i would finish a hard 1/4 run and throw it in nuetral and hit the brakes to slow down it will just die, then start right back up...i havent got to rive my car hard in about 6 or 7 months, and just got done wit fuel upgrade so im gonna see if it still does it now...hopefully somone will know that cuases this

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
mine had the same symptoms..this was after i rev it up to 4k rpms and let it sit in neutral..then my car would die..most people told me it was after bov(apexi that i had) so i just put the stock ones back in..good luck!

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I had the same problem. I have the same electronics you did. Make sure your vpc/afr is installed right. make sure the afr learn mode is turned off and the eids is turned off. If you aren't sure the reset the afr and let it relearn. That is what i did and it fixed it. I reset my ecu, set everything to zero, reset the afr and let the car start up. The first 15 minutes were horrible. The car was running really really rough. Afterwards the idle cleared up. I have a wideband o2 and I notice by default for some reason my a/f at idle is horribly rich. 11:1. What I ended up doing after resetting everything is leaned her out 15% at idle by using the afr and that puts me about 14.5:1. The car pretty much doesn't have the problem anymore. Only when I run a hard 4th pull then just put her into neutral I might get the problem. I rode with Angel from www.garageadvance.com and he said a better thing to do is upshift to 6th and let her come down slowly vs shocking everything and slamming it into neutral. My car runs great now.

Good luck,
sid

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the good news (if you can call it that) is that this seems to be a common problem. It's not just my car, I guess. Lots of people are having the same problems.

I believe I have my problem fixed, though.

Here's what I did:

(1) Leaned out the idle about 5% with the AFR; and

(2) raised the idle to about 1000 rpms (when the car is in Park, not under load).

I don't know which of those things did the trick, but it seems to be working. It still wants to die when coming to a stop, but the rpms don't drop low enough for it to do it now. So, that seems to be my solution for right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts