Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a buddy out for a few punches, then all of a sudden the car started running like crap. At idle if I give it gas it wants to die. It was missing VERY badly limping it home. I had to keep it over 3k rpm or it would die.

Once I got home I changed plugs thinking I fouled one. While I was changing them I did a compression test. That came out fine. The plugs did not help.

A friend said to look for a intercooler pipe blown off. I didn't find any. I did a pressure test too. It passed that like a champ.

I checked to make syre both fuel pumps were sending gas (messy). Both are.

Any ideas???

I'm stumped!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Did it throw and codes?

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twinturbozs said:
that sounds like prime examples of a loose IC hose. how high did you pressure check the system?

~10 lbs.

No codes thrown.

Could the adjustable fuel pressure reg have gone bad?

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chromesupra said:
did you check your coil packs and connectors?
and maybe vacuum hoses, I trust you've tried resetting the ecu?

good luck
How do I test the coil packs? The connectors all seem to be on fine. It idles like a champ.

Yes, I have reset the ecu.

·
Registered
564 Posts
check your fuel filter and fuel lines....something similar happened to me when my fuel filter was really cloged...if i gave it any gas it would just die because no fuel was getting into the engine...

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jargon said:
check your fuel filter and fuel lines....something similar happened to me when my fuel filter was really cloged...if i gave it any gas it would just die because no fuel was getting into the engine...
I still have the stocker on the stock line in my fuel system. I tried to pull it off but the damned thing is stuck! I stripped the stupid bolt.

Today is a day where I hate my car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
take coil packs out and look for cracks up and down the stems i had a 1jz that had 3 bad you can see it with your eyes i did a backyard job and fixed it with wrapping electric tape around it with zip ties hehe it's held up for years take each connector off while running the car and listen to idle changes per cylinder if idle doesn't change on one cylinder then there's a problem with that one could be an injector too never know

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
How did you wire in your VPC? Possible the wires came loose somewhere?

It sounds like a blown IC pipe or a bad MAF, but you're using a VPC so it wouldn't matter if you had a leak.

·
Stock Twins King
4,400 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me and my hose blew off where it connects to the VPC vacuum sensor unit. I am sure that yours didnt blow off cause you would see it, but look to make sure it didnt tear or crack. Another possiblity is the TPS may have had loose screws and the unit turned on you (big black plastic thing attatched to the TB) That would cause the car to die on tip in or quick blip of the trottle. I know this is an unusual one, but I have heard bad timing belts slip, but that is way out there. Most likely a vacuum line that you are overlooking.

·
1st 2jz 240 swap EVER
237 Posts
does it idle fine but as soon as you give it a any gas it starts like a backfire and then wanna die? you might wanna check the "check engine" light bulb...i had the same problem with my swap it was firin up no problem but as soon as i gave it gas nuthin, it ended up just bein the check engine light bulb was burnt out...this stumped me for days.
Dane

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I would highly doubt that it would be a clogged fuel filter, since that problem manifests itself over weeks of driving, not in one day.. I would check your electrical system, as that will probibly be the cause.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a new fuel filter coming in today (monday). Hopefully that fixes it, but the last post mentioned it being a gradual thing.

I'm thinking it has to be that or the adjustable fuel pressure reg has gone out.

Engine light bulb? I guess I'll see if it lights up. I've never heard of that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
exact same thing happened to me...i had to sit there and check every single electrical wire b/c i was convinced that was my problem...it ended up being the stupid safc...the wire connecting into the control module had come loose...definitely check that...it look myself and friends 7 hours to find it...what a pita...i wish apex would not make such fragile electronics

1 - 20 of 30 Posts