Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well the car runs well at idle, and boosts just fine. No missing, nothing of that sort.

However, when I'm driving the car will die in these situations:

A.) Sudden stopping while I put the car in neutral
B.) On the highway putting the gear in neutral

I have no idea why the hell it's doing that, but my Type-S bov is on the car, and it's on very tight for the adjustment.

Any ideas as to why the car dies like this? It's rather annoying.

·
Banned
664 Posts
if your BOV is vented to atmosphere, your car will die. you have to either deal with it, vent it back into the intake, or get a map based system.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I mean even when it doesn't vent at all, it will die if I just take the car out of gear and don't apply throttle.

I would completely understand if the car died venting at 15psi

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't get it then.......if the bov isn't venting any air, how is the car dying because the afm isn't losing any metered air.

I guess I just don't understand that part :(

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Um, no. The bov usually ran fine unless vented at full boost and then it would stall at a stop.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's not the bov.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Try adjusting the screw on top of the type s, it's probably too loose and vent air almost all the time.

Put a balloon or condom over your bov (the exit side ;)) and drive the car. When the bov vents the balloon (or condom) will pop off or simply break. Then that's where you're losing metered air.

Also check for bad ground wires... when you let go of the gas, break hard, shift into neutral, the car is (somewhat) slowing down causing things to move, including the ground wires. And without a good ground the engine won't run.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
vented bov doesnt always have to stall. mine never did

-Joe :run:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Stock87Turbo said:
if your BOV is vented to atmosphere, your car will die. you have to either deal with it, vent it back into the intake, or get a map based system.
Why do you have to say something like that and scare the man here? This is a completely and totally untrue statement. Don't pay any attention to it.

The Type S is notorious for having problems though. Lots of people have experienced issues like yours from this BOV. Higher quality BOV's (i.e. dual valve) will not have this problem.

If you tune and setup your BOV correctly to vent to the atmosphere, you will have no problems. If you are dead set on keeping the Type S, then you need to learn to drive a little differently. Don't put the car in neutral until you are almost at a complete stop and things like that.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trent said:
Why do you have to say something like that and scare the man here? This is a completely and totally untrue statement. Don't pay any attention to it.

The Type S is notorious for having problems though. Lots of people have experienced issues like yours from this BOV. Higher quality BOV's (i.e. dual valve) will not have this problem.

If you tune and setup your BOV correctly to vent to the atmosphere, you will have no problems. If you are dead set on keeping the Type S, then you need to learn to drive a little differently. Don't put the car in neutral until you are almost at a complete stop and things like that.
That's what I've been doing lately, but thanks for your help :)

S

·
0 Posts
isnms said:
Check your dashpot
Besides the BOV, this is what my money is on..... Happened to a friends car recently. The filter at the bottom of the dashpot fell off one day in a parking lot so he put it back on.... backwards. It's a pain to get to when the engine is hot because of the location. The car started dying so we took out the dashpot and did a test on it and turned out the filter was upside down, not providing the pressure needed for the dashpot to work as designed.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Trent said:

by reading your last paragraph that you wrote, you said exactly what I did, except in a "nicer" way. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Stock87Turbo said:
by reading your last paragraph that you wrote, you said exactly what I did, except in a "nicer" way. :rolleyes:
Reread it bud. That's not at all what I said.

Your exact words were:

This statement right here tells someone that there is NO WAY they can run a BOV vented to atmosphere UNLESS they have a map based system. That's what it tells me.

I on the other hand said if you set it up correctly and adjust the screw correctly, you can vent to atmosphere and have no problems. How is that the same?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
I've run vented BOV's on numerous metered air systems and never had issues with stalling at all. I've never had it stall when putting it in neutral while driving or coming to a stop either.

I'd check it if I were you, just to exclude the BOV as a possibilty, but vented BOV's on a metered air system aren't going to cause too many problems.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
you could always just get rid of the gAyFM :D

-Joe :run:

M

·
0 Posts
i had this probelem with my winter car i dont get why they do this some cars are just retarded. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts