Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been dying at low speeds. Usually when going slightly uphill and decelerating swiftly. The [!] light comes on and the car shuts off. To me it seems like an exhaust issue related to the blow off valve or a battery issue. I've tried the bov in every possible tightness and although it seems to make some difference it doesn't go away completely in any position. My other thought is the battery connectors are coming loose and it's losing the charge due to battery movement. My battery doesn't have one of those straps to hold it down at the moment. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the battery itself is fine. But if the connectors come completely off while driving your car will still die even with a good battery. I'm trying to figure out if it is coming loose enough that this could be a cause. However it still feels more like an air release/exhaust cause to me.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
when did it start doing this ?

what are your mods

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
small single, greddy 3 row, apex gt exhaust with silencer in atm, tial bov, bcc

I don't drive it that much but I have noticed it in the last month.

·
Arrow
651 Posts
small single, greddy 3 row, apex gt exhaust with silencer in atm, tial bov, bcc

I don't drive it that much but I have noticed it in the last month.
Are you NA-T? Because if you have a MAF between your turbo and intake that is your problem.

You need to blow through the MAF after the BOV or MAP ECU.

If you are not NA-T I'd still take a look at the MAF.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its not the battery. You could theoretically take the battery out of the car once it's started, the power should be coming from the alternator at that point. I'm not very experienced with the Supra in specific, but talking cars in general it sounds like something is out of whack with one of the many fuel peripherals. The guy aboves advice sounds solid.

·
Got boost?
260 Posts
did u check spark plugs? or coils?
it could be wet plugs.

·
Arrow
651 Posts
No it is not na-t. The MAF is right after the K&N filter. You think that's the cause?
When I was NA-T I put my MAF between the Turbo and filter and the car would drive fine but as soon as the clutch was pushed in or if I stopped the car stalled out just how you described.

I put the MAF Between the throttle body and the BOV and the car ran OEM but in my case OEM NA just boosted.

I'd try that and see how it works out for you.

A better way to go about it is get a MAP, but I'd try the MAF to see if that is your problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well see the thing is doesn't everyone have their maf in this location? For example Steve's car, his runs perfect and mine is setup the same. See his setup pic below.

Wet spark plugs, that is a possibility I will check on.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yes, leave the maf where it is !!!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I had the same issue like 3 years ago with my Greddy T88 setup on stock maf. Everytime I would gun it, then let off the gas it would drop in RPMS to the point where it would shut off, unless i hit the throttle enough to keep the RPMS up. I did a few things like recirculating the BOV instead of making it go to the atmosphere, didn't help that much. In the end, I was told that I needed a VPC or some form of engine management to correct the problem.

Here is my old thread, it may help you:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330078

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks that was a helpful thread, I've been searching and reading every thread about this. Definitely seems to be the bov issue with the maf. Looks like it's time to look at vpc and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts