Supra Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll try to get a couple more drives in and see if it still happens. If so, I'll start checking the torque around the suspension parts and see if anything gives. It'll take me a few weeks due to work and school, but I'll investigate if needed.

Now to look for the torque specs for all suspension parts...

·
From the land down under
5,176 Posts
On a Nissan when that hub comes loose, the 200ft*lbs nut, the bearing is trash and must be replaced. We are not allowed to re-use the hub bearings and they are non rebuildable. IDK about Supra but I have a feeling in the service manual it will say the hub bearing needs to be replaced whenever we intend the hub nut is torqued to the proper 200~lb-ft
Toyota wheel bearings of this vintage have a good reputation as being all but indestructible, and can last 100's of thousands of miles and still be silent.

Ill cross my fingers that mine are still in tip top condition when I check them :)

·
AFK
435 Posts
Toyota wheel bearings of this vintage have a good reputation as being all but indestructible, and can last 100's of thousands of miles and still be silent.

Ill cross my fingers that mine are still in tip top condition when I check them :)
I think the issue is, when you tighten the hub nut, it gives the bearing or sleeve for the bearing some ideal crush which cannot be replicated again using the same sleeve or bearing. It must be replaced once the nut is coming loose. But I never did it on a supra so I never looked it up. If the service manual warns you about it then... so be it. Im just super cautious and careful anything I do by the book or proper service etc... so I warn anybody performing these jobs to look the actual procedure up and gain knowledge from the manual before attempting to simply blindly tighten a nut or bolt or whatever. its not always that simple. For example head bolts for LS engines are not re-usable, technically Torque to Yield, the bolt yields and stretched. They stretch during install and must be replaced each time. So if you didn't read the manual you might be tempted to simply re-torque an old bolt..

·
From the land down under
5,176 Posts
I think the issue is, when you tighten the hub nut, it gives the bearing or sleeve for the bearing some ideal crush which cannot be replicated again using the same sleeve or bearing. It must be replaced once the nut is coming loose. But I never did it on a supra so I never looked it up. If the service manual warns you about it then... so be it. Im just super cautious and careful anything I do by the book or proper service etc... so I warn anybody performing these jobs to look the actual procedure up and gain knowledge from the manual before attempting to simply blindly tighten a nut or bolt or whatever. its not always that simple. For example head bolts for LS engines are not re-usable, technically Torque to Yield, the bolt yields and stretched. They stretch during install and must be replaced each time. So if you didn't read the manual you might be tempted to simply re-torque an old bolt..
I hear you...when I rebuilt the head on my car before going NA-T, I knew that the head bolts were TTY so just ordered a new set of oem bolts. I was never planning a wild build, and was told by a few peope that the originals would be fine for my modest goals, but I did it just to be on the safe side.

Definitely not one to cut corners :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
How about them tires? How old are they? Old rubber can also be skittish. I find that tramlining was more related to tires as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: carbuff2

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Another possibility is the eccentric bolts for camber/toe coming loose from being under torqued from the alignment shop.

The torque specs on them are pretty intense, 166 ft lbs for the front LCA, and I don't remember the rest off my head.

If there's there's any nearby shops that do complimentary alignment check, I'd check one out before checking the torque of your eccentrics if possible.
This was my immediate first thought. Happened to me in 2017, second ever autocross with the car, and I slipped an eccentric bolt. Turns out the torque on the front of a Mk3 is something like 195 ft-lbs, and the tire shop just zap zaps everything. Little surprise it was loose.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts