Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know I keep making too many tuning threads, I apologize for that matter. Anyways, the appointment has been set to tune the car on Monday.
I need some advice on what psi I should run ONLY for 91 octane????
Car has a Turbonetics GT72 BB setup, 880cc injectors, twin pumps, etc..., has custom intake manifold, 6-spd tranny, and thats all that comes to my mind at the moment...

I just want to get an idea on what would be good for pump gas (91 octane) and race gas (ONLY 101 octane)...

What would be the MAX psi that I could take it to tuning it on 91 octane???

What would be the MAX psi that I could take it to tuning it on 101 octane???

And when I mean MAX, I want the safest limit, really don't feel like blowing my motor since I just got done with the car :ugh2: ...

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh also forgot to mention I'm running on MAP ECU.

Thanx for your help and please let me know what you think...

· Never enough
1,347 Posts
From my experience I'd reccomend at most 18psi for the pump gas tune.....as for 101 if it's straight 101 you can probably get away with 25-26psi. If it's mixed, I'd stay around 22-23.

Andrew

· Registered
1,755 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend 18psi unless you know for sure you are starting out on the rich side of stoich. all the up to redline. I'll assume that the tuner will have a quality AFR analyzer. it would be better if you had one of your own mounted closer to the engine. Why tune on pump-premium? Or, are you going to tune later on higher-octane as well?

I play it safe with low-octane fuel and limit boost to 1 bar. Really, if you are thinking 91 is the gas you will predominately use on a daily basis, wouldn't you rather tune for some economy? At $3.00/gal I think anyone would.

· Super Moderator
13,804 Posts
farzad3kgt said:
Alright, I know I keep making too many tuning threads, I apologize for that matter. Anyways, the appointment has been set to tune the car on Monday.
I need some advice on what psi I should run ONLY for 91 octane????
Car has a Turbonetics GT72 BB setup, 880cc injectors, twin pumps, etc..., has custom intake manifold, 6-spd tranny, and thats all that comes to my mind at the moment...

I just want to get an idea on what would be good for pump gas (91 octane) and race gas (ONLY 101 octane)...

What would be the MAX psi that I could take it to tuning it on 91 octane???

What would be the MAX psi that I could take it to tuning it on 101 octane???

And when I mean MAX, I want the safest limit, really don't feel like blowing my motor since I just got done with the car :ugh2: ...

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh also forgot to mention I'm running on MAP ECU.

Thanx for your help and please let me know what you think...
This is what you are paying the tuner for. You should be having this discussion with him instead of soliciting opinions.

Ken.

· 19in 795R HRE's FTW....
8,015 Posts
KenHenderson said:
This is what you are paying the tuner for. You should be having this discussion with him instead of soliciting opinions.

Ken.
I agree...

· Registered
1,755 Posts
The pessimist in me wispers don't trust just any dyno operator to know exactly how to tune for your driving/operating conditions. Maybe his question should be who out there can tune to specific conditions plus some headroom for error.

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only reason I ask is because I know the AEM can handle better conditions than the MAP Ecu and that why I ask, the tuner is not experienced with MAP Ecu allot. And I felt it would be a better idea to ask you guys because I get a better advice on what would be the safe side and what not...

8,015 Posts
There are many variables to take into consideration and every car will be different.

I would advise not using someone who isn't very experienced with something to tune your car. Unless you're willing to let him learn on your car and unless you want to replace a motor:)

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MtFujiSupra said:
I really wouldn't recommend 18psi unless you know for sure you are starting out on the rich side of stoich. all the up to redline. I'll assume that the tuner will have a quality AFR analyzer. it would be better if you had one of your own mounted closer to the engine. Why tune on pump-premium? Or, are you going to tune later on higher-octane as well?

I play it safe with low-octane fuel and limit boost to 1 bar. Really, if you are thinking 91 is the gas you will predominately use on a daily basis, wouldn't you rather tune for some economy? At $3.00/gal I think anyone would.
Thats what I was planning on doing, but needed some more input on it, on 91 I thought it would be a good idea to keep it at 1 bar, and I thought I shouldn't go no more than 18-20 psi on 101 octane.
Car is actually driven so I think it would be a good idea to just tune it for 91 octane, but I wanted to be able to have some fun with it as well.

I think my best bet would be to just tune it on mixture of 91 and 101 and have it tuned to 16-17 psi, I feel that might be a good limit...
What do you guys think????

Again, I really do appreciate the help...

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And Lets just say I do get it tuned on mixture for 17psi, what kind of power should I be expecting out of this???

Thanx agian for all your help

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOTM said:
There are many variables to take into consideration and every car will be different.

I would advise not using someone who isn't very experienced with something to tune your car. Unless you're willing to let him learn on your car and unless you want to replace a motor:)
Ryan, how about you tune the damn MAP Ecu :) ... Your always busy man...

I just want to get this car tuned so it can be driven nicely for the next owner, this car is going for sale this thursday. If I kept the car, I would of just went ahead and got the AEM and tuned it on C16, but thats not happening...

8,015 Posts
farzad3kgt said:
Ryan, how about you tune the damn MAP Ecu :) ... Your always busy man...

I just want to get this car tuned so it can be driven nicely for the next owner, this car is going for sale this thursday. If I kept the car, I would of just went ahead and got the AEM and tuned it on C16, but thats not happening...

AEM and Motec I can take care of. I don't do Map ECU's though:)

· Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
2,003 Posts
i wouldn't go above 17-18psi on 91 octane and for 101 octane, probably keep it between 22-24psi max.

as mentioned, there are a lot of variables that come into play with tuning, amount of timing is just one big factor. you definitely need to talk with your tuner on that. hopefully he keeps it within 12-14 degrees peak torque timing with the pump gas and 2-4 more degrees for the 100 octane.

i think some might agree with me.. but this is just my personal experience which isn't the best so take it for what it's worth... good luck!

i'm sure ryan (wotm) is out in az your way that can be of real good help if you're looking for a tuner.

ken- i don't see anything wrong with asking people's opinions about tuning.. what's safe and what's not. we all have to start learning somewhere and i am a believer it is always best to know as much as you can.

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tomorrow morning is the day, can't wait.

Anyone know what kind of power I should expect on mixture at 17-18 psi????

Thanx

· Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
2,003 Posts
farzad3kgt said:
tomorrow morning is the day, can't wait.

Anyone know what kind of power I should expect on mixture at 17-18 psi????

Thanx
my guestimate is (stock cams) 550- 580 whp

(264's-272's) 560-600whp at 17-18psi

let us know how you do

· AZ RuleZ!!!!!
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started another thread with the results, was only able to get 15psi because of the damn tps senor went bad.

Still made 500 Whp though at 15psi... Made another appointment in 2 weeks to get the rest done. Was maybe thinking to go ahead and tune it on C-16 and see how it does...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.