Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an old car thats been sitting on the side of my house, with current registration, but not running. Long story short, she was towed away this morning after sitting for a few there for a few months.

Can they just tow a car thats been sitting there? I thought they could only do that if the car did not have current registration?

Car is a 1993 Montero, and was on the street to the side of my house.

I dont know if ill even bother to recover it, because its proably not worth the time or effort, but im pissed because it had some personal stuff inside, and the radio/speakers were new and good.

· iSketch Master!
12,497 Posts
AFAIK they have to at least leave a warning that it will be towed if you don't do something with it. I know here if it has current registration it's pretty much a working car and they can't do anything with it.

Unless someone complained about it being decrepit or something.

Alex

· Member Since 2000...
1,358 Posts
I believe they are supposed to give you a "move vehicle within 72 hours or it will be towed at your expense" sticker...atleast thats what they do to all the beaters around where I live..

· Registered
1,426 Posts
In most cases, someone has complained, then someone comes out and marks the tires.

As for my city, even if vehicle is registered and running but there has been no movement of the vehicle, it'll be towed in a heartbeat!

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts
Yup most likely someone complain of the vehicle, then the ticket made passed by, marked the tires and if it wasnt moved withing the 72hour period, they are allowed to towed it away...at your expense...!!..sucks you should try to get it out, and sell it for some change..!!:)

· Registered
497 Posts
Question..did you see it get towed?

Usually they don't tow it if its registered unless its on jack stand and untouch for months. True also cops will place a warning or ticket at first.

I just hope it wasn't stolen.

· You know I'm retarded...
3,548 Posts
Are you sure it tow or stolen??? You better check up on it bro! Check the police station before anything goes! Unless you dont care about it. But prepare DMV mails (tha bill) if its towed.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I havent updated. I got it back a few hours after I made this post. Yeah it was towed and I guess they did put chalk on the tires, but I didnt realize it, no ticket, nothing, just the chalk.

No one complained, someone stole my registration sticker, so I got two tickets for no registration, and then the chalk. I got replacement stickers and got out of the registration tickets, but had to pay $300 fucking bucks to get her out.

· Registered
863 Posts
Sorry I havent updated. I got it back a few hours after I made this post. Yeah it was towed and I guess they did put chalk on the tires, but I didnt realize it, no ticket, nothing, just the chalk.

No one complained, someone stole my registration sticker, so I got two tickets for no registration, and then the chalk. I got replacement stickers and got out of the registration tickets, but had to pay $300 fucking bucks to get her out.
I had the same shit happend to me. Another stupid Cali law which if your car is parked on any city streets for more than 72 hours you will get towed. If you don't get the car it only gets worse. The towing yard will start charging you $35+ for storage and will send you a notice after 30 days of first tow and if you still don't go get the car the next notice will be from a Collection Agency with more fees & by now you got a negetive on you credit report.

· Registered
673 Posts
I had the same shit happend to me. Another stupid Cali law which if your car is parked on any city streets for more than 72 hours you will get towed.
I live on a city street which has limited parking and streeting cleaning days where one side of the street can't be parked on.

A neighbour of mine has 4 (FOUR!!!!!) fucking cars. 1 gets parked in his parking spot in his apartment and the other 3 get parked on the street. One of these cars is an old beater Ford Maverick that ONLY moves for STREET CLEANING. He takes up 2 parking spots with his Maverick and uses that to take up more spots so he can park his other cars together if there aren't any spots.

I call in about once a month and that helps to free up parking spots on the street. What I don't get is that he could park half a block over on a street where there is no street cleaning rather than right out front of his apartment.

So I don't think this law is stupid at all. It sucks for people who don't abuse the system but it does help in some cases.

· Registered
863 Posts
I live on a city street which has limited parking and streeting cleaning days where one side of the street can't be parked on.

A neighbour of mine has 4 (FOUR!!!!!) fucking cars. 1 gets parked in his parking spot in his apartment and the other 3 get parked on the street. One of these cars is an old beater Ford Maverick that ONLY moves for STREET CLEANING. He takes up 2 parking spots with his Maverick and uses that to take up more spots so he can park his other cars together if there aren't any spots.

I call in about once a month and that helps to free up parking spots on the street. What I don't get is that he could park half a block over on a street where there is no street cleaning rather than right out front of his apartment.

So I don't think this law is stupid at all. It sucks for people who don't abuse the system but it does help in some cases.
Totaly Agree on that one. it may come handy i guess

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.