Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car had been running flawless until lately where I have this problem with it stalling. Sometimes when its going really slow the car will randomly stall but it can also happen when the car is going 60 down the freeway. If I put in the clutch and back into gear sometimes it will help but not always. At first I thought it was the battery not being able to hold a charge, so I went and got another red top optima. The problem still persists. This leads me to believe that it may be an alternator problem, but I am not sure. Here are symptoms:

-Car will build boost and run fine
-Car will stall and be hard to start up for atleast 2-3 starts after it dies
-Will stall when driving slowly (below 20mph) and up around 60mph
-Car runs with fine a/f's throughout the entire RPM range
-Once I installed NEW battery car didnt have dimming interior lights or headlights problem but prior to new battery the car did have the problem when braking

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, thanks.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I have a mysterious stall problem too, very intermittent. Sometimes when i come to stop, the idle will drop down to like 400-500rpm and sometimes stall. Other times it would idle fine at 700rpm. Weird...., and i cleaned out my IAC and cleaned out my throttle body and it still does it.

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Seems to me like alternator or grounding problem. I had the same thing happened to me two years ago when my supra stall like crazy, then drain battery every couple days. Then I had the alternator changed, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just did some voltage tests:

-Car off battery shows 12.7v
-Car on battery shows 14.6v
-Car on w/ load on car (lights, stereo, heater, etc) battery shows 14.6v

This leads me to believe its not alternator, but still could be I guess :(

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
AlpineTT said:
Can you elaborate a little on this?
when the thrust bearings wear out, the entire crank assembly is aloud to move back and forth. When put in neautral the rpms usually move everywhere for a bit, sometimes stalling. Same thing when coming to a stop since most just clutch in.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ScrewDrvr said:
when the thrust bearings wear out, the entire crank assembly is aloud to move back and forth. When put in neautral the rpms usually move everywhere for a bit, sometimes stalling. Same thing when coming to a stop since most just clutch in.
But this happens regardless of speed it seems and without cluth in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts