Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

This isn't regarding my Supra but it's another car I drive. I figured there's a chance someone had this problem with the Supra so maybe you could give me some ideas.
Basically the car is a 01 Acura, stock, and it has trouble starting. The strange part is that it's very random. One month it will be fine, and then one day it'll just be totally drained in the morning. So dead the alarm won't even unlock the doors. It's not the starter since once I get some jumpers on the car, the car starts right up. I had the charging system checked yesterday and they said the alternator was working. I bought the battery in for checks today and it came out fine and it got a full charge too.
I take the car out, the car sits for maybe 2-3 hours, and I come out the car is dead again. By the time I get home and shut down, there isn't even enough power to pop the trunk.

Any ideas? :(

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
well the first thing that came to mind to me was either the battery or the alternator, which you said you already checked...it may be worth it to try another battery JUST to double check before you delve into anything deeper...

M

·
0 Posts
^^^^ Yep, because it really sounds like the battery is drained or has a dead cell. Another possibility is a wire that's grounded somewhere on the car improperly, and is causing some large current drain? I wouldn't know if anything would cause THAT much of a drain though, if the car hasn't been tampered with, unless you're very unlucky and have a poorly build electrical system.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I agree with mark, assuming that the alternator and battery are good, there has to be something wrong with the electrical that is causing a lot of drainage, although i'm not sure how one would check that...

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how to check for drainage either...the car is stock. I'm really thinking it's the battery but I'm not sure. When I drive the car for a relatively long time, the battery will be fine the next time I need it to start so it sounds like the alternator is probably fine. I'll probably just need to check the battery again.

Any other ideas keep them coming :bigthumb:

·
Revolutionary Brotha
35 Posts
Check the batt. voltage. if there is a dead cell then it will only have 11.5 V, if you already got twelve then it isn't that. As for the drainage you will need someone from a shop to check that out. I think it is a paracitic load. Finding out where parasitic loads are is quite a task, i had to do that shiz in school recently and it took me some time.

But here is a link describing one way to diagnose load problems.

HTML:
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq10.htm

Hope it helps man,

Will

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T51R KAI said:
Check the batt. voltage. if there is a dead cell then it will only have 11.5 V, if you already got twelve then it isn't that. As for the drainage you will need someone from a shop to check that out. I think it is a paracitic load. Finding out where parasitic loads are is quite a task, i had to do that shiz in school recently and it took me some time.

But here is a link describing one way to diagnose load problems.

HTML:
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq10.htm

Hope it helps man,

Will
Thanks for the post. I'll look into testing the battery and trying to find the load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts