Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched to AEM. I thought it was about time and I also thought it would cure some of my ECU woes. Last time I ran the car at the track and dyno it was really down on power. I only dynoed 540rwhp @ 30psi on C16 when at the same dyno I put down 593 rwhp on 92 pump and meth at 28 psi. At the track I only trapped at 126 mph or so when I usually trap in the 130 range. Well after doing some tuning on the dyno the car was only putting out 500rwhp on meth and 92 pump at 24 psi. Went back to the dyno to do more tuning and heard a clicking sound. Thought it was teh suspension because it was very faint. The clicking turned to knocking by the time I arrived at the dyno. Looks like I lost a bearing on one of the rods. John Reed was tuning the car and said it was probably oil starvation and could have been caused from stock oil cooler not being changed out. This is the engine from my Purple Supra. Between the 2 cars its seen over 120K miles. I had a rebuild before (my fault) and did NOT change out the cooler because I didnt know about it. Definitely will take care of it this time. Engine is getting torn apart now so I will know more in a few days. Just to clarify things, my G-force ECU was not the problem and the AEM DID NOT cause the failure.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
I know the feeling too well. I am having withdrawl as I type this.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C5 4 NOW said:
I know the feeling too well. I am having withdrawl as I type this.

LOL..I feel your pain. The worst part is the down time. My wife drives the 540 so I get the drive the amazing 1999 Suzuki Vitarra with 110 hamster power. NOT FUN.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Silver Orchid SP60 said:
My wife drives the 540 so I get the drive the amazing 1999 Suzuki Vitarra with 110 hamster power. NOT FUN.
That's always the way...lol. (Aren't you glad you have beater, even one with only 110 Hamsters under the hood? Beats walking, or bumming rides off the wife.)

I hope things turn out OK, I'm sure they will, and you'll be back stronger than ever.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
quick ? do you by pass the factory cooler by taking it off or are u guys using that along with another aux cooler? thanks in advace

ps i remember seeing a by pass on derk's site but its been down

~Andrew

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hockyplyer18 said:
quick ? do you by pass the factory cooler by taking it off or are u guys using that along with another aux cooler? thanks in advace

ps i remember seeing a by pass on derk's site but its been down

~Andrew
You take it off. I am just getting a stock new one.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lagtime said:
That's always the way...lol. (Aren't you glad you have beater, even one with only 110 Hamsters under the hood? Beats walking, or bumming rides off the wife.)

I hope things turn out OK, I'm sure they will, and you'll be back stronger than ever.
Most definitely. The AEM has been great so far with the little tuning we have down. It helped me get rid of the GM pressure sensor on my meth kit that I have replaced 3 times because the plastic keeps breaking. Whats up with your ride? Did I read correctly that u finally took the single plunge? Details, I need details.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Sorry to hear. I just went though a rebuild not all that long ago. I was down almost a year!!! I definitely know what your going through! Hopefully you'll have it back on the road soon!

Josh

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Ced,

Really sorry to hear this. Hope you get everything squared away and it doesn't affect your ability to come to Vegas. Good luck with everything.

Ken.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ced. I know a thing or two about annoying car issues. I've had the same blowout/spark issue for 3 years now, and I haven't come close to fixing it. Even switching to the AEM, which was supposed to help me diagnose the problem, hasn't helped either.

Good luck with the re-build.

Scott

peace

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Pikey said:
Sorry to hear that Ced. I know a thing or two about annoying car issues. I've had the same blowout/spark issue for 3 years now, and I haven't come close to fixing it. Even switching to the AEM, which was supposed to help me diagnose the problem, hasn't helped either.

Good luck with the re-build.

Scott

peace
Now that really sucks. Mine turned out to be a bad ground on my HKS DLI.....

·
808Supraclub
304 Posts
sorry to hear that Ced. how much down time is this going to be? I was trying to set up a cruise next month or so.. If you can't make it, I'll post pone..
also.. Daniels friend is coming down to Tune his AEM EMS.. if your interested.. I can find out details.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rsky said:
sorry to hear that Ced. how much down time is this going to be? I was trying to set up a cruise next month or so.. If you can't make it, I'll post pone..
also.. Daniels friend is coming down to Tune his AEM EMS.. if your interested.. I can find out details.
Shouldnt be long. Just waiting for Heath to check the engine and see how bad it is. There is a spare shortblock on island if I need it. I am thinking maybe a few weeks or so. Depends on what route I take.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Never heard anything about bypassing the stock oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Ced..... you really need to fly me out there to tune your AEM.... John says he hates Hawaii LOL :)

Lar
Yeah, it is tough there Larry, but I would sure hate to see a nice guy like you suffer that way. I will man up, take one for the team and go back there. :lol: :lol:

John

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
slither said:
Never heard anything about bypassing the stock oil cooler.
Anarkey had a write up about in on is site Derekdevices.com. I dont think its there anymore.

Ken, no worries. I will definitely be in Vegas. If I bring the car I will definitely be running it at the track!

Larry, with your busy schedule I am surpised you can get away!

Thanks for the replies guys. I will update things as soon as we get into the engine.

John, I will be giving you a buzz in the next few days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts