Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a supra that leans to the driver side maybe an inch compared to passenger side.

I have changed the shocks and springs, and also have new lower control arm bushings. The car still leans to the driver even after all this.

I've noticed other people complain about this, but not enough for it to be a common problem.
What could be causing this?

Suggestions what other parts to start looking at?

·
Registered
942 Posts
you have got to be kidding me, my supra does the same, really irritating

my original springs and shock were all saggy, so i figured they caused the problem, but when i threw new shocks and springs under it, it still leans 1 inch low on the drivers side (1/2inch up front, 1 inch at the back)

i've actually asked around about this problem, and a mechanic told me that this is sometimes caused by 'low quality' aftermarket springs, that are uneven ...

but if anyone has any other info on it, i would like to hear it as well

Luke.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem seems really random
some ppl have it other dont.

running tein s/kyb shocks

just looking for ideas where to start looking since I really thought poly bushings would have solved the problem. Or possibly someone who may have solved this problem.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
You just needa lose some weight, or date a thicker woman

·
Registered
6,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you might want to check the bushing the crossmember is supported by. If its shot it could cause the crossmember to sit unevenly...just a guess

·
Registered
594 Posts
My car also leans on the left, more on the back then the front. I was thinking of adjusting my coilovers to compensate and then getting the car cornerweight balanced...

I'm not sure if this is a safe, since adjusting height on one side would also change spring rate for that side of the car.

Also, my car leaned on the left before and after my bushing were replaced with new ones. So this can not be the case.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Tein S springs, and the car leaned even on stock shocks.
I want to figure out what is worn or could possibly be bent to cause this?

I dont think its something bent just due to the number of people this has occured too. Just a thought but, my car has spent most of its life with only 1 person in it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had stock suspension with HKS springs, it leaned, now with HKS coilovers it leans just as much to the left.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
supraswap said:
I have Tein S springs, and the car leaned even on stock shocks.
I want to figure out what is worn or could possibly be bent to cause this?

I dont think its something bent just due to the number of people this has occured too. Just a thought but, my car has spent most of its life with only 1 person in it.
Nothing is worn and nothing is bent.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Got the same problem. When i was stock, it leaned, when i got new eibachs and kybs, still leaned. about an inch. I hate it, but save coilovers, nothing can be done. This is actually not uncommon, but can't believe this sagging would happen to such a "great" sports car as a mkiv.... :(

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well good excuse to pick up some
hks coilovers then.

I was hoping there was something I could fix by replacing it.
Wish I knew the cause of this. Something is failing/worn by it slowing leaning over the years.

·
Boost Junkie
12,692 Posts
It is a common problem. Get a set of coilovers and call it a day.

Steve

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
You have hit the big points, with the LCA bushing and shocks/springs, but have you checked your sway bar?

In general what can cause this: (doesn't apply to you directly, but in general)

You could have a sway bar bound up on one side? Permanently bent sway bar? bad rubber bushing? bound joint? Get the car up on all fours and inspect those parts. If they are all good, then try this:

while the the car is up on jack stands (front or back or all 4, but at least in pairs across the same axle because the sway bar is involved). Remove the three bolts at the top of the shock or the bolt at the bottom. Loosen the bolts that pass thru the bushings in the control arms. Make sure the bushings are now allowed to rotate.... then tighten up again and reassemble.

My last supra car had a pronounced sag after installing suspension parts and it turned out that the rubber bushings one one LCA were preloaded. Releasing them fixed it. I suggest doing all 4 so they are all "reset". They are tough as hell and if they are preloaded in torsion they will give that lean. Just my $.02.

If you look at the car and the entire right or left side sags (meaning both front and rear of the same side) then all bets are off... it is not obvious to me how that would happen. I can only see a single corner having this problem, though if your chassis is stiff (hardtoppers) it may appear that a whole side sags.

-M

·
Registered
594 Posts
Evill Supra said:
It is a common problem. Get a set of coilovers and call it a day.
Steve
I don’t think this would be a safe method of fixing this problem... Lowering your coilovers on one side would change the spring rate for that side of the car, changing the handling characteristics. Is this correct or not?? Any opinions about this?

If you get the HKS Performers, then it wouldn’t matter, because you can adjust the ride height with out altering spring rate.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts