Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car (up)lifting ideas?

Gang,

I'm looking into various options of lifting the Supra.

I currently have a pair of ramps which I tested recently. I backed up onto them and it raised the rear to about 10".
Now I'd like to lift the front too so I can get under comfortably.

I'm looking to get a floor jack. I prefer one that lifts to 20-21" but the only ones that I found (at local stores) that lift to that height start at 6" which is too high to fit under the car.
1. Is lifting to 14-15" sufficient? Should I not insist on 20"+?
2. Does anybody know of a unit that will lift from 5.5" to 20"+
(2-3 ton capacity max, as I don't want it to be too heavy)
3. Should I get a small unit 14-15" and lift to 20-21" in stages?
(by adding "spacers")

I'm also planning on buying a pair of wide-base jack stands. Brands/desirable height?

Any and all ideas/tricks would be appreciated.

Jay :blue:

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I have 2 jacks, a light duty one which has lower clearance and allows me to get the lifting started. I lift in stages anyway - lift one side up a couple rungs on the jackstands, followed by the other side, and then back and forth til I get about 16-17' off the ground. There's no way I would consider it safe to try and lift one side to that height all at one time. It's higher than you think. If I was buying a jack now, I would look at that low clearance jack at Griot's garage. I didn't end up with 2 jacks by plan. I had a low clearance, light duty jack and needed to get something more heavy duty. Like I say, If I had known about the low clearance one at Griot's, I would have got it and then could get away with using only one jack to lift the car up.

R

·
0 Posts
XCELR8 said:
I have 2 jacks, a light duty one which has lower clearance and allows me to get the lifting started. I lift in stages anyway - lift one side up a couple rungs on the jackstands, followed by the other side, and then back and forth til I get about 16-17' off the ground.
Doesn't it make the car kinda hard to work on when it's 17 feet off the ground? Those are some damm tall jackstands!!! :D

Rob_O

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gang,

Appreciate all the replies.

Managed to find some interesting links on the net:
<http://www.geocities.com/genidude/Ranger_floor_jacks.html>
<http://www.geocities.com/genidude/hydraulicjacks.html>
<http://www.hyjacks.com/wichjac.htm>
Read at you own risk...he he he

Looked at Griot's Garage,... damn, the good stuf aine't cheap. $389!!! And Im not even sure that it would clear the front lifting area without pre-lifting. And unless I missed it, he's offering only one model.

XCELR8,

"I lift in stages anyway - lift one side up a couple rungs on the jackstands, followed by the other side, and then back and forth til I get about 16-17' off the ground. There's no way I would consider it safe to try and lift one side to that height all at one time."

If you lift on jack stands on both ends then you're 100% right. But if you have a pair of ramps, then you may wana' try backing up on them, lifting the rear to the ramp height and then use the floor jack to lift the front end to full height in one shot. Unless you plan on removing the rear wheels in which case you couldn't use the ramps.
BTW, I saw a pair of plastic ramps at Pep Boys the other day and I might wana' test them as they may work for lifting the front. They have a very gradual ramp (only 7-8" high) and may clear front bumper.

Brittany'

Do you happen to know John Minert's user name?
To my best knowledge the sys won't let me run a search by 'real names'.

Rob_O,

"Doesn't it make the car kinda hard to work on when it's 17 feet off the ground? Those are some damm tall jackstands!!!"

I think that the main challenge working at that height would be the jet stream... ;)

Jay :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts