Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought there were threads on this topic but my serach turned up nada so I thought I would post here to ask those who have car lifts either in thier home garages or personal shops what car hoist you would recommend to buy. I'm officially sick and tired of working on my back and want to make working on my car easier for myself and my body.

I spent quite some time looking online for affordable hoists. Based on my research the bendpaks seem to be the best. But do I really "need" a bendpack is the question? I found this website which seems to have the best prices so far. The free shipping option on some of the hoists is a huge bonus for me too because I have to get it shipped to Canada and this place also offers free shipping here. I can only imagine the shipping costs on a 1000+ lb item

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts-s/285.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=285&show=80&page=1

Of course I'd like to spend as little as possible yet ensure that the hoist I choose is SAFE (Yes i know this can be an oxymoron).

The hoist is for personal use only and I will not be using for business purposes. For my home garage I was considering the Danmar MaxJax portable lift, but figure for the same price or lower I can get a full size hoist for low ceiling heights like the following:

Auto Lift AL2-9K-FP 9,000 lb. Capacity Symmetric 2 Post Car Lift for $1399

I've never heard of autolift and thought some of you might have and also provide your recommendations.

Thx
Danny

·
The Slow And The Curious
469 Posts
I have been thinking about getting the danmar 4 post drive up lift. It is low enough to fit in my garage and will get the car high enough that I can roll under it on a stool. The thing that you will have to think about with a 2 post is the concrete. Is it thick enough and reinforced to handle the load without wanting to tip over and pull the concrete apart.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only thing I dont like about the 4 posts is that you cannot remove the wheels and do suspension/brake jobs unless you spend extra $$ on those scissor jacks or whatever they all them.

·
Inline for the win
4,771 Posts
the only thing I dont like about the 4 posts is that you cannot remove the wheels and do suspension/brake jobs unless you spend extra $$ on those scissor jacks or whatever they all them.
You can remove the wheels, but you must lift the car from the center to do so. I believe most of the 4-posts have this option to integrate.

Also, check out greg williams equipment in Indianapolis, IN. My friend has one of the cheapest 2-post from them and it has worked flawlessly for the last 3years in a commercial enviroment. It is also pretty easy to install as long as you have some friends help you lift the uprights.

DP

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Direct Lifts are junk. I have had nothing but problems with mine. All the cylinders are leaking, no support, I would stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I've had a Bendpak for probably 6-7 years now and not a single issue. I'm very happy with their product and would certainly recommend them.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
For the money and at home with minimal use, Benpak is a good deal. Rotary and Challenger are also nice lifts and you can fond used ones for good deals. Try Craigs List

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have 2 buddy lifts and have never had an issue with them at all. Also when you buy one they come and install it for you. I have had these for about 8 years.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with Jawsgear. I bought a 2 post Rotary lift from one of our local Toyota dealerships when they relocated. You can find a great used lift for under $1,000 if you check around. On the subject of two post versus four post lifts I went with the two post because of it's smaller size ( takes up less room in the garage ) and I feel like you are limited to the work you can do on a four post.. If you go with a two post though, you will need to consider your concrete depth. I believe mine required 6" of concrete. The most important thing ... Take a look at the safety features that different companys offer on their lifts.

·
Registered
462 Posts
what do you guys think about danmar lifts? i know on other garage forums they liked the maxjax lifts because they sponsored them. but from unbiased opinions, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think for my garage I might go with the MaxJax even though I can fit a full size lift.

With the full size lift I will lose the second parking space in my garage because the full size lifts need at least 145 inches width.

With the maxjax I can move it out of the way and can still keep the second spot open when needed.

The only thing I am fighting with in my head is to try and justify is the fact that the maxjax is more expensive and has a lower lifting capacity than a full size lift. The thought of having to spend over $500 for a lift half the size of a full one....arrrrrrgh!

Locally I found a full size 9k lift for $2200 (CDN) and the maxjax which is only 6k would cost me $2700 (CDN). What would you guys do??

Danny

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No problems with my Direct Lift 8K two post - four years +
It's lifted my ctd mega cab on several occasions with no problem as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts