Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So uh yeah, I go to get my tires aligned and balanced per usual, and what do I find out? Well besides the oddly misplaced Rolls Royce Phantom, that I need to buy NEW TIRES! ALL AROUND!!! So did I miss something when I lowered my car? The insides of all four tires are worn too hell, and the guy says that I probably have about 1000 miles left before a possible blowout :rant2: . I could use some serious help with this guys, do Supras have camber kits? What can be done to make sure this doesn't happen again, or do I just have to suck it up, and keep buying new tires every-soften?

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I know you are sorta a Supra guru here. In your professional opinion, would that have prevented all of this? I mean, I pamper my car, I never wait until 3,000 miles to get an oil change, usually about 2500 miles, and alignments I get done about 2-1000 miles before due.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:faint:

·
Registered
148 Posts
pamper your car or not...If your alignment is bad your tires will wear out quick, and the alignment should be done immediately after lowering the car

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh'!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yeah, when you lowed the car it causes negative(?) camber, and that is what caused your tires to wear. And you do not need a camber kit to get an alignment done, at least I didn't perhaps if you seriously lowered the car you migh.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
KLH2004a said:
Yeah, when you lowed the car it causes negative(?) camber, and that is what caused your tires to wear. And you do not need a camber kit to get an alignment done, at least I didn't perhaps if you seriously lowered the car you migh.
yup. lowering causes neg. camber.

nope, there isn't a camber kit for the MKIII.....that's because most camber kits are for mac-strut sus, not the double a arm/multilink we have...there's a TON of adjustment in the stock sus, you just have to find a shop w/a clue as to how to adjust it...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
drjonez said:

nope, there isn't a camber kit for the MKIII....
Hmm, interesting I was told by a local shop (which was not in business long) that there was a camber kit, but they did not know if it would be needed. That place was a joke tho $400 labor is what they wanted, and it only took me about 2 hours.

Hopefully you have the money to get a good set of tires, don't cheap out on them as they are one of the most decicive factors in a cars performance IMHO.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
You can get a universal camber, kit, which is just some bolts with an eccentric lobe in the center of the bolt, kind of like a camshaft lobe. when used with the stock slotted arm pockets there should be plenty of adjutment.

BTW Camber doesnt really wear tires allot, it is toe in/ out that you need to worry about. sometimes when you lower a car, depending on the type os suspension, as the camber increases the toe out also increase. So then the inside of the tire is scrubbing which causes the wear.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
ya we get toe in when you compress to help turn the car, lowering it gives you extra unneeded toe in. Which is good for turning but bad for wear and stability. Good/Bad are general terms, you need balance.

And the funny thing is when you have setups like that, the harder you drive the car, the longer the tires last lol.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
becauseican said:
You can get a universal camber, kit, which is just some bolts with an eccentric lobe in the center of the bolt, kind of like a camshaft lobe. when used with the stock slotted arm pockets there should be plenty of adjutment....
sounds like the stock bolts to me....

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
drjonez said:
there's a TON of adjustment in the stock sus, you just have to find a shop w/a clue as to how to adjust it...
as you would say- werd.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Suprise Suprise...knew this guy was pure genius when I saw his bank loan thread...

AlexSmith said:
Last I checked I have good credit. But some things have come up, so not too sure anymore. Guess I will just have to see then. Maybe I should just not worry about it. I just wanna be able to do more than 130ish, but I don't think even modding my NA will get me over 150 without serious weight reduction.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turkish said:
Suprise Suprise...knew this guy was pure genius when I saw his bank loan thread...
Don't you have anything better to do then look for my threads and try to annoy me? Or maybe since you don't have a life, this is the best excuse for one you can make. How about you go find yourself a nice girlfriend and get laid. Then maybe you won't be so damn uptight.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
drjonez said:

nope, there isn't a camber kit for the MKIII.....that's because most camber kits are for mac-strut sus, not the double a arm/multilink we have...there's a TON of adjustment in the stock sus, you just have to find a shop w/a clue as to how to adjust it...

jesus, that seems to be the biggest problem.....i still got a lil neg camber on my rears...they kept saying "we did it as best we could"

meh..whatever.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
becauseican said:
BTW Camber doesnt really wear tires allot, it is toe in/ out that you need to worry about. sometimes when you lower a car, depending on the type os suspension, as the camber increases the toe out also increase. So then the inside of the tire is scrubbing which causes the wear.

:iwdumbass

My last set of fronts wore pretty unevenly on the inside but the rears were wearing just fine. similar camber front to back but obviously the toe setting killed my fronts prematurely!

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
becauseican said:
You can get a universal camber, kit, which is just some bolts with an eccentric lobe in the center of the bolt, kind of like a camshaft lobe. when used with the stock slotted arm pockets there should be plenty of adjutment.

Yap, bad toe will destroy tires!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts