Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys -

So on my way to buy a delicious $5 dollar Subway sandwich, I was pulled over for illegal tint.

Not a big deal, right? Wrong.

They then pop the hood and do the normal cop shake-down hustle. (I have a greddy T78 & 4-row intercooler, APEX-i exhaust, AEM EMS - all non-street legal if im correct)

Long story short, I have to take it in to a "State Referee" within the next 21 days to fix this and can not drive the car anywhere unless its to a repair shop.

My question is two-fold:

1) Has anyone else dealt with this before? If so, do you have any advice with how to proceed from here?

2) After all is said and done and I am cleared by the State, I would like to put all the mods back on to the car. If, God forbid, I am to get pulled over again...will they see that I had been pulled over previously for the engine modifications, and therefore arrest me or something drastic like that?

Thanks guys...obviously not a good day for me, this car means more to me than just a moving piece of metal. That being said, any advice is much appreciated.

-Alex

· Registered
213 Posts
From searching other threads on the same subject I believe you're going to have to remove all the mods and take it to the ref and have him sign off on it. From what I've read, they are extremely strict and know these cars inside out.

As for the other question, I am curious to know as well.

Just out of curiousity, when you were pulled over and the hood was popped, did the cop point out all your modifications and write them down on the ticket? Did it seem like he knew what he was looking for?

· hardtopper
2,617 Posts
Can you own a hotrod in CA? or what about custom cars built by guys like Chip Foose? I know that there are tons of those style cars out there. What do the laws say about them?

· Registered
958 Posts
I believe you can go to the courthouse and pay the fine without going to the ref. It would be a point or two on your license as you are admitting guilt. But you don't have to take all your parts off. However, your mods are still illegal and if you got pulled over again the cops would have a record that you had a previous equipment violation. I don't think they would impound the car unless they could get you for street racing or something like that. But you never know.

BTW, intercoolers are not illegal if you have OEM turbos. You can reference Appendix K of the smog manual. Also, you can get away with an intake if it is an HKS with a CARB number. Cat-backs are not illegal if you have all your OEM cats. That's about all I can think of that would be legal though.

TBH, it sounds like your car is fairly heavily modified. I would take the ass-raping they are going to give you with the fine rather than deal with the hassle of the smog ref. But if you have the time and the OEM parts, you can always put it back to stock.

It's tough being a car guy in CA.

· Actual Member Since 2003
4,520 Posts
I heard you can just pay the bill which is like $400 or something like that and its done. But i could be way wrong...

· Registered
408 Posts
If i had a car that was worth as much as yours is I would move to a new state that is more lienient my friend.........I also want to understand....Y did you allow him to search your car? I would have said "no thank you sir I must be on my way as i am getting dinner for my family or am running behind for work, or some bs like that. I live in Mo. and I would not let a cop search my car here, and they are way more lienient here. I know some of the parts I run may be looked at as illegal, so this would be a no-go unless I was forced into the matter.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiousity, when you were pulled over and the hood was popped, did the cop point out all your modifications and write them down on the ticket? Did it seem like he knew what he was looking for?
No this guy had no idea what we was talking about.

"Looks like you've got multiple air intakes, and illegal fuel injection here" (As he was pointing to a completely stock electrical control that had nothing to do with fuel)

Then the other cop comes up (yeah this guy actually called 2 more cops for "back-up") and says "these cars weren't made with turbos..."

So you can see what I was dealing with...not to mention they wrote down "Toyota Celica" on the ticket.

Thanks for the replies guys...I am really interested in terms of just paying the fine. Can anyone else verify that? I ask just because the cop made it seem like going to the ref. was the only option I had.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....Y did you allow him to search your car? I would have said "no thank you sir I must be on my way as i am getting dinner for my family or am running behind for work, or some bs like that. I live in Mo. and I would not let a cop search my car here, and they are way more lienient here. I know some of the parts I run may be looked at as illegal, so this would be a no-go unless I was forced into the matter.
I did try to avoid it by saying I had a final examination within the hour. But, they had 'probable cause' to check due to the exhaust and the fact that I didnt have the smog papers on me. I was unaware of the fact that you needed those on you at all times (according to the officer)

12,374 Posts
I would pay the fine rather swapping to stock parts and take it off again.

I'll like to know the answer on the hotrod pro/super charge cars with high flow cats and big ass carbs shit. If they are violation free, I would gather all the CA members and chip in for a petition to treat eauallity in both moded and stock cars.

That is the BS I don;t like about Cali.

· Registered
3,294 Posts
Can you own a hotrod in CA? or what about custom cars built by guys like Chip Foose? I know that there are tons of those style cars out there. What do the laws say about them?
Yea, anything pre '75 will not get fucked with outside of the occasional 'view obstruction' from a massive blower or tunnel ram sticking out of the hood.

· CreamTeam®
634 Posts
i wonder what would happen if you sold it to a friend, for a dollar.... meaning title out of your name and then went to court and said you sold it? i had ticket for state ref but i litterally did sell my car and i was cleared in court. reason being a dollar is so that you wont get taxed, the judge didnt ask me how much i sold it for he just wanted visual proof? and besides, if you sell it for a dollar whos to tell you, you cant and for what reasons? lol...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.