Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i bought a '90 turbo auto the other day, and now it's fucked.
When I got it, it wouldn't start cos it had no petrol. So I put 5 litres in and drove away. I went to a garage and filled it up all the way.
The needle in the fuel gauge was right at the top, but as soon as i left the garage it started going down. I thought I must have a leak, or hole in my tank. After about 5-10 min the fuel gauge was reading empty, but the low fuel light didn't come on (It did, however come on while I was driving from the place I bought it to the petrol station).

I drove home which was about 30 miles away. All the time without the low fuel light coming on.

The next day I tried putting some petrol in, from a jerry can, and after about 1 litre had gone in, it started pissing out from the fuel filler, as if there was a full tank of petrol.

Great! maybe just the fuel gauge is broken.
But then the car wouldn't start.
It just cranks and cranks but no start.

So why do you think it won't start?
1) The tank really is empty, and there's some kind of blockage in the filler neck? (unlikely as i don't know how it could be blocked)
2) Low fuel pressure? (I can hear the fuel pump working a bit)
3) Ignition problem?
4) Something else?

The thing is, when i bought the car, it wouldn't start cos it needed fuel. I put it in, and it started. The ride home was really sweet, it drove and idle'd perfect.

One more thing. When I tried putting some petrol in, the car was half up on the curb. Does this matter?
Maybe there's some kind of mechanism does doesn't allow fuel out (or in) of the tank if the cars not perfectly flat.
(Safety feature, incase the car flipped or rolled.

I'm just pretty pissed off right now. I couldn't even change the fuel pump, cos the screws holding it in were rusted and I rounded them off to hell!

So, If you suggest something (please be specific), and it works, I'll paypal you $20.

Thank you Everyone

·
Registered
523 Posts
go to a shop garage! :p

PM me for paypal info! :D

j/k

if it was sitting for a while, maybe the petrol was old and turned gummy and is limiting the flow of petrol. put some tank cleaner in it.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
I bet with the weather being as it is right now, it was either just the cold start injector or the cold start injector sensor that are not working properly. By cranking it a thousand times, you probably flooded the combustion chamber. Try running the engine diagnostics codes on the car, if you're not familiar with the process, use the search button up top and you'll get all the answers you need. Tell us what the codes are for further clarification. Also check for sparks, see if they're even present. Let us know what you find.

Kruso

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ran the engine diagnostics, and the engine light flashed on and off every 0.24 (?) seconds, saying nothings wrong.
Any ideas?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
gas guage- common prob. the sending unit needs to be cleaned up. IIRC there is a SOGI tech tip on what to do.

starting problem- 95% sure its the CPS connector, coil pack connector or ignitor connectors. they seem to have intermittant breaks in 'em that cause the non-starting problem.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_001.html

The first thing that I would do is reset the ECU. Pull the 15 amp EFI fuse for about 60 seconds. Replace it. See what happens.

Next, I woud see if im getting fuel pressure to the cylinders. Just crack the nut on the cold start injector (on the center lower portion of the intake manifold) and have somebody turn the key to the on position (not acc) to see if fuel sprays out. This will let you know if you have fuel to your injectors. Insignificant fuel pressure may indicate a clogged fuel surge dampner.

As far as your gas gauge goes, you will have to get into the pump. I wouldnt go so far as to say that the gauge is the cause of your woes, but ill place my money on a fuel pump being your problem, or debris in a low gas tank being sucked up and clogging your dampner.

As far as the screws go, try placing a phillips head screwdriver in and hitting it with a hammer a few times - this should give you a little bit of bite with the screwdriver. Vice grips, torches and your teeth are good options for removing stuck screws. Just be careful with the torch and know what you are doing. Dont heat it too much.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorted it. All it was, was the spark plugs!
Changed them, and the car started first time.
Now how come none of you though of that?!!?

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
RICH7MGTE said:
Sorted it. All it was, was the spark plugs!
Changed them, and the car started first time.
Now how come none of you though of that?!!?
Thats almost like asking, "I was putting the key in the ignition but wasnt TURNING it, now how come none of you thought of that??" :rolleyes:

This is a trouble shooting forums....if you got this far, you should have already taken care of the basics, no need to insult the intelligence of the board members.

Kruso

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kruso said:
no need to insult the intelligence of the board members.

Kruso
You almost sound like you though I wasn't joking.
:rolleyes:

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
trust me dude if your car did that it was the connection at the cps...unless we are to belive that all six of your sparkies failed at the exact same time while the car was not running...i say that you jiggled the cps connection while you were changing the plugs. and that solved your problem.

i also take paypal

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
lol, that's a nice scam, I'll have to remember that one.

Spark plugs don't suddenly fail like that. The car starts running rougher and rougher until it won't run at all.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I changed the plugs and the car started, but I did wiggle the CPS. I just assumed it was the plugs because they looked really fucked.

But if all you guys recon it was the CPS jiggling that did it, then credit goes to chevyeater-on-sf

What's your e-mail?

Jesus, guys, you all making me sound like a crook!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give me twenty bucks and I"ll diagnose the boiling coolant in the overflow tank, and the white smoke coming from the exhaust. BHG! oh, hasn't happen yet? just wait......:) j/k
congrats on the supra buy though, welcome aboard

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
RICH7MGTE said:
Well I changed the plugs and the car started, but I did wiggle the CPS. I just assumed it was the plugs because they looked really fucked.

But if all you guys recon it was the CPS jiggling that did it, then credit goes to chevyeater-on-sf

What's your e-mail?

Jesus, guys, you all making me sound like a crook!
I was just playing with 'ya bud. :D

If the connector is really bad, a couple more wiggles will probably result in another no start. The permanant solution is to either hardwire the connection there or replace with a new connector. I give out free advice to my fellow Supra owners all the time because I like to help out but, if you feel motivated, I never turn down money! [email protected]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts