Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I’ve noticed that my rpms have been acting strange. If I’m cruising (in any gear) at let’s say 2500 rpm and I put my foot down from let’s say 10% to 20% my rpms will rapidly jump to 3.2k+ rpms then it will settle down to about 3000 all while keeping my throttle still at that 20% mark. Also I’ve been noticing my boost gauge is reading lower levels of boost and is not going up until much much later than normal. I can replicate this every time.
88 Supra turbo mostly stock 7mgte

·
Registered
60 Posts
sounds like your clutch is slipping.
I second that. Sounds like your clutch is slipping, then heats up and grips as your car speeds up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Thirded. In a manual if your engine is at X RPM in Y gear then you'll be going Z mph unless something is slipping, which in your vid looks/sounds like the clutch. It must be pretty worn to slip that easily from your video. Be careful and stay off the road if you can so you don't go metal-to-metal and damage your fly wheel. Good news is that it's a normal maintenance item so you should be fine after the change. Remember to pick up a new throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main seal to have changed while you're having the clutch serviced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts