Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I finally got the engine in and the intercooler piping problems I was having figured out, she starts and runs. At first the idle is a bit high, like 1200rpm after a few minutes of idling, back down to like 500 (a bit low??). When I drive it, it doesn't seem to have the power it ought to, especially at high rpm (above 4k). Sometimes, intermittently, when I rev in neutral when it comes back down to idle it dies entirely. Timing is at 14*.

So after the install I drove it a few times (no exhaust) so I parked it, and this weekend, about a month later now, I fired it for the first time since then and large clouds of blue smoke come out for the first two minutes or so. My question is this:
Could a blowing/blown turbo cause both of these problems?? Or is it just valve seals maybe, and the idling/lack of power problem is something else? The turbo has a bit of shaft play, but doesn't seem excessive, however what worries me is the impeller fins have some chips on them. I can get the turbo to spin up fine, doesnt seem to make any bad noises, but wtf?? This is my first turbo supra, I've owned a number of MKII's and am very familiar with them and the 5/6-M motors, so this is kind of new territory for me here. Any help is much appreciated, I need to get this damn thing on the road soon, it's finally starting to get nice up here ;)

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
could be the turbo seals... not 100% on that though.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
Lack of power could definetly be the bent fins, I had to ditch my stock turbo because of that. Other than the clutch that was my first major repair. You can usually pick up CT-26's off of Ebay for pretty cheap (at least you could back then), something to keep in mind. And rebuilds are normally fairly cheap.

The smoke, if it only does it at startup (and in moderation) could be valve stems... From what I've read blown oil seals in the turbo tend to cause blue smoke during acceleration/deceleration, especially when the turbo is spinning hard.

As far as the idle problem, that could be a number of things. Nothing that would be any different from an N/A motor honestly. Check your basics, AFM, etc...

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts