Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it advisible to buy a security system and install it myself? If not, can someone recommend a good installer in Austin, TX? Can I buy a system and bring it to the shop for them to install? I found some really good deal on the web. Thanks alot!

95 TT 6sp, BPU

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car security is one thing I wouldn't fuck around with. If you have your doubts about your ability to put one in, leave it to a professional. It'd sure be a great time to find out your sensors weren't sensitive enough to set the alarm whenever you leave the mall and don't find your car where you left it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clifford G4 series alarms is highly recommended by most. I don't know of an alarm manufacturer that has better features and qualities than the Cliffords do.

http://www.clifford.com/

Get at least the Concept/Intelliguard series alarms. The Arrow lacks many good features.

Stan

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
recomended by whom i do alarm installs(on the side) and the alarm thats the worst out i belive is clifford so do many many people i know who do installs my one friend stop carrying it in his shop!..to add if they where so good they would not have filed for bankrupcy then have been bought out by dei aka viper alarms personaly i like OMEGA (excal&crimeguard) ,crimstopper ,codealarm,then prestige& dei (viper .hornet ,python line ), and then alpine lots of guys here like the alpine unit as for more fetures
you can add almost any extrafeture to these alarms also window rollers sunroof opener ( i know the suprsa has no sunroofs)trunk opener motion sensor headlight on activator whatever but the more tricks you add the more pains you will have down the road ..one other thing i have seen more clifford alarms come back for repairs than any other alarm out ! im not comming down on you ef9 as i know a few people to who like there cliffords but i know far many more who will never buy one again !

last thing an alarm is only as good as the install! if you dont know what your doing dont do it you can damage far more things if you dont know what your doing to add many people think its easy to do and it really is not i suggest you take iy to some one who knows what there doing befor you hurt your car!
ef9 said:
Clifford G4 series alarms is highly recommended by most. I don't know of an alarm manufacturer that has better features and qualities than the Cliffords do.

http://www.clifford.com/

Get at least the Concept/Intelliguard series alarms. The Arrow lacks many good features.

Stan

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Hawaii, it's totally opposite

Here in Honolulu, it's reversed. I hang around at 3 different stereo/alarm shops, and they all love the Clifford and it's quality control, etc.

As for features, I think Clifford has a good set of them. It was stupid of them to get rid of their Intellipage, where you can control your car via your 900MHz pager(regular alpha/numeric pager). Wireles Immobilizer, there are no wires that you can have a relay cut a signal for you(fuel pump, EFI main relay, etc.).
Especially with the G4 technology, you can connect a PC to do the customizing of the alarm, much easier than pressing the remote buttons and valet switch, listening for chirps, watching the number of flashes on the LED.

I also have a Clifford GP500 motorcycle alarm on my moped and that one rocks! I love it more than anything.

I used to own a Crimestopper(that one was horrible) and the Excalibur, don't get me started, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

I don't know much about the Clifford bankrupcy, but I do know DEI bought them out. I didn't like the DEI window roll up module with those DIP switches, PITA to configure.

I hope I don't start a flame war with this, just my opinions.
Stan

·
10,459 Posts
well i must say this ..there are more alarm shops here than there im sure and when i say here i mean tri state area mostly ny and nj and from the ones i know and i know many !
only one store likes them(cliford) why because of the profit they make off of them thats it !

i can diable the clifford alarms a little more easy than any other alarm if its installed like they tell you to do so in there manual!you connecting a PC to do the customizing of the alarm is very nice but not many people own laptops and many shops think its not worth giving a installer a 1,400+ pice of equpiment to program something like an alarm since you can drop it very easily and lose all your profit !
to add omega just came out with there alarm interface that allows an installer to program an alarm ,sensors and all with one easy little tool , .
also when there alarms fail(clifford) and they do fail often its a pain in the rear to trouble shoot as its almost never what you think it is ..and the unit needs to be sent out for replacement!

also its hard to beat ATV (ATV provides a visual indication of how many transmitters are programmed to operate your keyless entry or security system. Every time you start the engine, an LED display will indicate the number of transmitters programmed to operate your vehicle.In addition, if anyone has programmed an unwanted transmitter to operate your system, Unauthorized Transmitter Alert will cause your siren or horn to rapidly chirp every time you turn on the ignition. This is to bring your attention to the intrusion. To defeat the thief, you simply and easily erase the unauthorized transmitters from the system's memory )

here are some of the STANDARD Programmable Features:
• Selectable coded Override
• Automatic rearming
• Ignition-activated anti-carjacking
• Automatic starter interrupt
• Door activated anti-carjacking
• Last door arming
• Doors lock with last door arming
• Current sensing
• Doors lock upon ignition on
• First door unlock upon ignition off
• Second door unlock upon ignition off
• Open door bypass of ignition lock / unlock operations
• Parking and dome lights illuminate for 30 seconds upon disarming
• Automatic rearming
• Doors lock with automatic rearming
• Trunk release also disarms system
• .8 or 3 second doorlock output
• Single or double pulse unlock output
• 3 or 45 second arming delay
• Confirmation chirps on or off
• Confirmation chirps in valet mode
• 30 or 60 second triggered alarm duration
• Steady output for siren or pulsed output for horn
• Loud or quiet confirmation chirps
• Total closure door lock output
• Transmitter-activated anti-carjacking
• Open door warning upon arming

for the money its hard for clifford to beat some of these alarms ..again it all comes down to preferance! (no flaming here)but i like the easy and use of the other alarms clifford was good buti think there time has passed!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... I see two extreme contradicting comments here. Anyone else have any good or bad experience with their Alarm System? Please help me sleep better at night! Thanks!

·
10,459 Posts
let me tell you this i invest lots of money into my car and i mean lots of money i do 90% of all my work
i do all my own audio and some for others custom and standard work as well as security work!
i install alarms on the side( been doing this the last 10 years..)what ever the cutomer wants i can get !
any and i mean any alarm i want yes even clifford with a warrenty too ( great to have friens who own shops and carry clifford) and i went with a crimeguard 745i3! why when i can get a clifford too????for what they had to offer and there quality !

why

Standard Features:
• Two 3-button 433MHz code-jumping transmitters
• Flashing parking lights
• NEW "Smart Trigger" automatic door trigger detection circuit
• Negative door trigger input
• Positive door trigger input
• Negative hood/trunk trigger input
• Plug-in auxiliary sensor port
• Negative doorlock outputs
• Multi-tone electronic siren
• Negative trunk release output
• Status LED, valet switch, NEW programming data port in easy-to-mount holder
• Backup battery circuit for optional 9-volt battery
• Remote panic feature
• OEM-style transmitter option available
• Patented ATV transmitter-tampering protection
• NEW "Safety Disarm" operation
• NEW easier-to-use silent arming / disarming operation
• AU-84TA dual-zone shock sensor
• Starter interrupt relay and socket
• Psyren(tm) miniature, polyrhythmic multi-tone electronic siren
• Negative 3rd channel output
• Dual negative unlock outputs for optional driver's door priority unlocking
• AU-85TA dual-zone shock/ air pressure sensor
• Plug-in port for optional paging system
• Built in doorlock relays instead of negative outputs
• Dual plug-in auxiliary sensor ports
• Dome light supervision relay built-in with smart trigger technology

now if i can get any alarm why did i not go with clifford ??
like i said i see what they have to offer and it was nothing impressing at all rather save the time and the money on an item i know will work day in and day out!

oh to add i had the crimestopper in my
porsche 944 turbo(sold)
928s4 that had about 10,000 worth of custom audio work inside (now sold)
my stealth r/t turbo that was moded and had a 5,000 audio sysytem in it (now sold)
in my old zx7 motorcycle that had every part that i could do polished or chromes out .spent over $3,000 just in custom looks (sold 2 years ago)crimestopper alarm
and i install them in many and i mean many exotic cars !from bmw to ferrari and nevr had a problem wellexcept once the guy for got how to use the valet mode :D

if i keep using there alarm to me it means something when i find a better item out there ill use it!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sayho, if you're confused..........

Sayho, if you're confused, go to a stereo/alarm shop that carries both and see what features each has.

It's easy to defeat either alarm IMO, especially if you've been installing them professionally.

A good way to thwart thieves is to run the alarm wiring within the stock looming, not in their own looming(it's obvious).

Oh well, this is gonna sound like a flame war, so I'll stop here.

Sayho, hope you're not too confused after speaking to several stereo/alarm shop salesmen. They can point you in the right direction.

Stan

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks guys, I will check out the local shops. Anyone can give me a ball park of how much it is going to cost, including installation. I am looking for the basics; keyless entry, shock sensor, ignition cut, maybe interior sensor. Can I get these features under $300? Thanks.

·
10,459 Posts
ef9
i respect your thoughts really i do .. so no flame war here

sayho
everything you stated you wanted is a Standard Feature
on the crimeguard 745i3 if you lived in jersey i could do this for you for under 300 easy you should be looking at 280 to 320 installed !with nation wide warrenty like the cliford!

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
The only features I would recommend are the following

Code hopping
Normally open relays
Battery Backup siren
Maybe also a hood lock

These basic features, combined with an EXCELLENT installation job (especially disabling something other than the starter, since starter kills are easy to bypass, while still working in conjuction with your turbo timer) is the best way to make your car secure. A properly installed $100 alarm will outperform a $900 unit installed by an amature at it's main purpose......to prevent the car from being stolen. The other bells and whistles are just that.....they will not make the car any less likely to get stolen.

-Mike

sayho said:
Is it advisible to buy a security system and install it myself? If not, can someone recommend a good installer in Austin, TX? Can I buy a system and bring it to the shop for them to install? I found some really good deal on the web. Thanks alot!

95 TT 6sp, BPU

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
I was always doing it by myself - that is easy. Try to do it... Pleasure will be yours.

Put alarm system but I would also put easy hand made security system for example fuel cut or something else that will make your car impossible to start. Just cut the wire connect it to small switch (hide the switch) and you are done. In my opinion such a easy switch is the best.

·
10,459 Posts
Re: Re: Car Security System

well said
V8THIS said:
The only features I would recommend are the following

Code hopping
Normally open relays
Battery Backup siren
Maybe also a hood lock

These basic features, combined with an EXCELLENT installation job (especially disabling something other than the starter, since starter kills are easy to bypass, while still working in conjuction with your turbo timer) is the best way to make your car secure. A properly installed $100 alarm will outperform a $900 unit installed by an amature at it's main purpose......to prevent the car from being stolen. The other bells and whistles are just that.....they will not make the car any less likely to get stolen.

-Mike

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kind of off topic,

Ranger can you help me re-configure my alarm system? Came with the car and I can't arm it when the turbo timer is counting down. Common problem but I have no clue what to do.

Chris

·
10,459 Posts
drop me an email ill help you out !

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Hope you don't mind...

I'm looking for both a turbo timer (T.T.) & a security system (S.S.).
I'm concerned that the T.T. might interfer with the S.S.

Can any T.T. be paired with any S.S. (with pro installation) or do I need to look for proven "pairs"?

Also, I'd like a S.S. with full-pledged paging (not only the 1/4 mile stuff) and, preferably, 2-way paging, so that the car could be disabled via 2-way alpha/numeric pager, etc.
Any of the sys out there have these features (add on is acceptable)?

Thanks,

Jay :blue:

·
10,459 Posts
i know what your talking about its been out for a few years now thing is some tend to fail even with the key fob present ..and if you lose your keys in the street man your screwed >>>how would you start it ?????

some things to think about!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get rid of that turbo timer

I'm sure the DEI stuff has this built in as well. My Clifford comes built in with a turbo timer, user definable time between 1 second and 4 minutes.

When the turbo timer is activated via remote, the alarm can be armed to protect all points of entry(disabling the shock sensor during turbo timing). As soon as the car shuts off from turbo timing, the shock sensor activates to protect the entire car.

Nice feature.

Stan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts