Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is smoking some when I rev it. I noticed it when I was going in reverse. I thinks its a blue-ish white smoke. So I am assuming it's oil. If I let the car idle for a few seconds and then rev it and not that high either a thicker puff comes out. I had just put on a header and it's really noticeable now.

I'm pretty sure it ain't coolant. Could it be fuel? Could I be running rich? With my new header I couldn't use the stock O2 sensors I had to get 2 universal screw in types and splice them in. The car seems to run fine but could it be making my car run rich perhaps? Apparently it has always done it a little since before i put my header on.

I'm curious if valve guide seals are a common thing that go bad in these cars. Are they a pain in the ass to change does anyone know?

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
Valve stem seals are a common issue, but from what I understand, bad stem seals cause smoke at startup, and not so much from just revving the engine. Do you have a wideband to check your A/F ratio?

·
Speed limits = Guidelines
1,964 Posts
Changing the valve seals is not a small job... gotta compress 24 valve springs...

other than the header what other work has the car seen? anything else since the start of the smoke?

could be the rings getting old, if its been building up over time as you said it was smoking before...but that doesn't seem to happen much on these engines, my car has 10:1 compression after 200k miles

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine is stock besides the header. I removed the egr system when I did the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and wires.

If it isn't oil I'm leaning towards those o2 sensors. I don't know much about o2 sensors so I don't know if they would be ok on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts