Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 95 Supra
Engine: Aristo 2jzgte
Miles on chasis: 147000
Miles on engine: ?
ECU: stock JDM ECU
Tranny: 4 speed auto
Mods: straight pipe exhaust, brand new Iradium laser NGK plugs pre gapped

Problem : the car sputters really bad as it builds boost. The boost will top out at around 10.5 psi. The car will accelerate but the sputtering is bad. It shakes the car really bad too. When the car is under vacuum it will pull fine.

Problem 2: when the car is nice and warmed up it will run fine over 1000 rpm but as soon as it goes below 1k the car will shake and die. I restart the car by pushing the gas and starting at the same time and it will idle fine until I put it into
Drive and it will die. The only to remedy the problem is to shut the car off, disconnect the battery, wait 30 min and then restart the car.

Problem 3: I'm sure this is a stuck valve or something but there is a noticeable tapping noise coming from my valve train. The car runs royal purple sythetic and the oil only has like 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
i mentioned this to someone else who was having a similar problem. you wouldnt think to look for this, but when a coil pack is cracked, or a harness wire for the coil packs is cracked and/or exposed, there can be arcs to the head, which makes an audible tick as well as sporadic and poor performance. i would check those ignition components visually as well as meter the coils to make sure they are within the proper resistance, which can be found in the TSRM.
less likely, especially at the range you are describing is the plugs, just go and get yourself a set of coppers, they are inexpensive and are a good place to start when ignition problems are suspected. in fact, i keep a set on hand at all times. i have mentioned this before in other threads but iridiums simply dont work in my supra. they have worked in every other boosted car that i have owned, just not the supra. so they should be on your checklist.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the resistance for all the coil packs and they are all in spec to the TSRM. As far as the harness goes, there were some exposed wires but I went ahead and rebuilt the coil pack harness. The car runs a little better but still sputters and makes the clicking noise coming from the valve train. I will go buy some copper plugs and give them a try. What gap do you suggest for the copper plugs?

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some coppers, gapped them to .030, pulled the coil packs, examined them for damage and found small to
Medium cracks, I electrical tapped them as a temp fix, changed the order in which the coil packs were in, fixed the exposed wires of the harness and checked the resistance for all coil packs (all within spec from TSRM). Car will now idle much better, pulls very hard and smooth when warmed up but still sporadically sputters at about 5psi. I guess I fixed the problem kind of. I'm not sure if I need to replace the coil packs to make the problem fully go away.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any suggestions as to where i would look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.