Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car wanted to stall today while driving home. It happened around 1k-3k rpm. This is the first time I have driven the car since I finished installing the stereo system in my car. I noticed this happened when I had the stereo on pretty loud. Is it possible that the stereo was sucking all the current from the electrical system that causes misfire or even no spark. I turned off the system and the car drive fine. I have 2 PPI amps (PCX480 and PCX1250) These amps rates over 1000W max. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
LOOKS LIKE U NEED A CAPACITOR(NOT SURE IF IT IS SPELLED CORRECTLY)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Youre right in thinking its the current draw. Whats happening is your alternator is not supplying enough amperage to your battery at those rpm's and the electrical system ( ignition, coil packs etc.) is not getting enough juice to keep it going. An added battery will help some, but i would suggest getting a new/upgraded alternator. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was pretty sure that is what the problem is. I had to see if anyone ran into this problem before. I also have a 1 farad cap and a brand new orange top Optima battery. I guess I need to find a cheaper alternative to Powerhouse's $800 alternator.

G

·
0 Posts
The rule of thumb to follow it 1farad for every 1000 watts. Another way to help this is to make sure the system is efficient. @ 2awg to the disto block and 4awg to the amps and the same size going to the ground. If the wires are to small they will heat up making the efficiency drop and pulling more current to supply the system with the neede voltage. If your only running one cap you should add another to help the voltage spikes. This way you shouldn'd have to worry about an alternator.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2awg that is big. I ran a single 4 awg to the distribution block then 8awg to the amps. I imagine that 4awg is big enough but I could be wrong. I rarely crank up the music that loud but I was just testing the system out. I might just get an alternator just because of all the electronics. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
You can get away with 4awg buy you should upgrade the 8awg to 4 on the sub amp. You might take a meter and mesure the voltage on the system when its turned up to see what the voltage drop is. With the sysem you have you shouldn't have that much of a drop with the cap. A alternator will help but may not be you problem. Check the common stuff first like your grounds and the cap.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Foumd my problem. It was a loose connector to the #4 coil. I change all the coil couple housing and one of them did not get pushed in all the way. I feel so much better now. Thanks for all replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts