Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's bad to let the car sit at idle and warm up before driving it. My brother's and friends manual of their car tells them to drive right after turning on the car. I always let it idle for a good 5 mins before driving. Am im harming the car by any chance?

G

·
nope......actually is better to let it sit for a bit....i notice all kinds of noises when i don't let it warm up...

·
Dont let the name fool u
496 Posts
xbbsupra said:
I was wondering if it's bad to let the car sit at idle and warm up before driving it. My brother's and friends manual of their car tells them to drive right after turning on the car. I always let it idle for a good 5 mins before driving. Am im harming the car by any chance?

I don't know what kind of manual there reading but if anything letting your car warm up for a bit is not bad at all for it. You won't harm anything by letting idle for a couple mins, while driving it right away things could happen. Best to always let it warm up. By the way which manual said that

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
5min warmup=long lasting engine
No warmup=funny noises, and frequent trips to the shop

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bpusupra said:
I don't know what kind of manual there reading but if anything letting your car warm up for a bit is not bad at all for it. You won't harm anything by letting idle for a couple mins, while driving it right away things could happen. Best to always let it warm up. By the way which manual said that

My brother's new 1.8T GTI manual says its better to start driving the car immediately at constant speeds until temp reaches to that point. My friend iwth a 2003 BMW 325 said his manual says the same thing. Are they stupid for not warming up? thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
I let mine warm up sometimes. I don't drive it in the winter so it's not too much of a concern anyway. Just don't drive it hard until you are certain it's up to full operating temp. Otherwise it shouldn't matter much anyway. It makes mention of it in the operators manual on page 109 "How to save fuel and make your vehicle last longer, too." Honestly, the most damage is going to occur on startup when the engine is cold. Once the oil is warm and running through the system, the wear is minimal.

Also on that page..

"Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your Supra. It is not designed for trailer towing." That is some sound advice.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Like they mentioned about the oil, only good things will happen if you let it warm up first... especially if you use thicker oils I noticed it becomes less dense when its hot.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
bobmarley said:
Like they mentioned about the oil, only good things will happen if you let it warm up first... especially if you use thicker oils I noticed it becomes less dense when its hot.
This is a no brainer. In order for the moving parts (rods,pistons, cam shafts,etc.) to run smoother is when the oil is more viscous. In order for the oil to be more viscous is when its hotter. The less viscous the oil, the harder it is on the moving parts and on your overall engine. It doesnt hurt to warm it up before you go.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I always let my cars sit for at least 5 min or more depending how long it takes me to close the garage door and such. Actually the manual on the lightning that i've recently taken owner ship of states to let the car sit at idle for 3-5 min before any type of hard acceleration (sp?). I guess to get the juices flowing before making boost i would think. I was told some time ago that you only need to warm up older cars and not newer models but i didn't give a shit i still let my cars sit at idle to warm up. My cars have been running strong so i guess it's not harming them.

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
xbbsupra said:
My brother's new 1.8T GTI manual says its better to start driving the car immediately at constant speeds until temp reaches to that point. My friend iwth a 2003 BMW 325 said his manual says the same thing. Are they stupid for not warming up? thanks

hence the reason german cars are always the top10 on everybody's WORST reliable rankings

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
i always start my car. go inside and have a glass of orange juice, or something. then when im done and go back out and get in the car and im pretty much ready to go then

·
Stinks like sex in here..
343 Posts
kevganzon said:
This is a no brainer. In order for the moving parts (rods,pistons, cam shafts,etc.) to run smoother is when the oil is more viscous. In order for the oil to be more viscous is when its hotter. The less viscous the oil, the harder it is on the moving parts and on your overall engine. It doesnt hurt to warm it up before you go.
Viscosity is the thickness or resistance to flow. Thus, the higher the viscosity ratting the thicker the oil. When the oil is cold its thicker compared to when its hot. So your saying oil gets thicker when it warms up?

As for letting the car warm up, always, even in summer.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
O.K guys this will settle your question. I know it sounds good and all to warm up your car but you dont have too. Also it depends on where you live because of weather. The older cars that were carb. needs to warm up becuase thats how they were made. New cars are EFI and dont need warm up. Also if you are using Syn. oil then you are fine. Fully syn. oil is less prone to the elements and will run fine as cold as -30 outside. Hope this helps. If you dont believe me just contact TOYOTA or any oil company that makes 100% fully syn. oil and they will tell you the same.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
not warming up and driving is one thing.. but not warming up and boosting is another.

·
Registered
236 Posts
hey i know this is offtopic but since your brother have a GTI 1.8T i want wondering if you could beat him. kuz i got this friend that we used to race our bikes and my cbr always beated his gixxer so now he thinks that his car is fast than mine so i was just wondering if our cars are faster thanks again sorry for getting off topic

·
Madison Motorsports
389 Posts
There is no benefit to allowing your car to sit and idle for 5 minutes before you drive it. It just wastes fuel and time. Just get in, let it idle for about 30 seconds and go. But be sure to drive conservatively at first, shift low, don't put a lot of load on the engine, etc. Once the car is warmed up, then rag on it. ;) Your car will actually warm up and reach operating temperature faster if you drive it at light load.

It used to be necessary to warm up carburated cars because they would dump tons of fuel in on startup and then level out, but with EFI engines the ecu controls the flow of fuel. In the vast majority of automobile manuals it says to drive it lightly after startup, not to let it sit and idle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts