Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car still has accessory power when key is removed?

*Title meant to say 'when *key* is removed, not car*

My car was just painted and sat for a while while it was painted (a month). Now when I remove the key and turn the turbo timer off it still has accessory power (clock stays on, cd player stays on) until I take the face plate off the cd player, then the clock turns off with it. I thought maybe the cd player had a setting I needed to change since the battery was disconnected, so I went through the cd player's settings and found nothing. It does this whether the turbo timer (GReddy, with actual harness) was on and shut off, or powered off and never ran.
Anybody have any ideas? :1poke:

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
U might have fried your switch ignition wire, happend to me, take the guage cluster out, and the bezel, look at you dash harness, the color of the wire is white with black dashes, if its all melted looking or bubly, thats the one that gave out on you, just follow that wire around with a new one, and retape it. i just put hole new wiring harness for mine cuzz i had an extra one layin there!

·
Search
3,303 Posts
this might sound silly but make sure you're turning the switch all the way off.... you have to hit a button to turn it to 'off'

the keys to these cars get so worn out they'll litterally fall out with you're driving :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Justin said:
this might sound silly but make sure you're turning the switch all the way off.... you have to hit a button to turn it to 'off'

the keys to these cars get so worn out they'll litterally fall out with you're driving :)
heh, thanks but key is fine!
Looked at the wire the other guy was talking about, it looks fine, anyone have any other ideas? :1poke:

·
The Doc is in...
526 Posts
My 87 has a similar problem, but that was due to the previous owner soldering the climate control wires, so when I plug in the CC the ignition stays in ACC mode, I am guessing a wire is fried, or 2 spliced themsleves within the dash harness.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
it probably has something to do with you dash harness. LMK if you need one. i have a complete spare harness out of my 89. i have no use for it.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Justin said:

yea tell me about it. Easy fix. Cut new keys :)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
lol... its not that easy if all you have to copy from is the old keys! a copy of a copy of a copy is never quite as sharp as the original.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
flubyux2 said:
it probably has something to do with you dash harness. LMK if you need one. i have a complete spare harness out of my 89. i have no use for it.
I'll take a look and see if I can find anything, how much for your harness? I can probably just fix the wire, but who knows.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
shit man, you can have it for like $40 shipped. all the plugs, wires, looms and mounting tabs are intact.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
flubyux2 said:
lol... its not that easy if all you have to copy from is the old keys! a copy of a copy of a copy is never quite as sharp as the original.
i have the key code in my car with all the original information about the original owner....date it was first driven (4/??/86....i forget exact date), the key code, owners' names (it was a couple) how many miles it had when delivered (7), it's kind of amazing knowing all that, i doubt many people have that.....i'll have to take pics of it and blur out the important stuff

i think it says "owner information" or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts