Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i recently have encountered a problem with the supra.

While i was in texas on saturday after i got the car running... the car was dangerously swaying .. it would float right with NO throttle then.. throw back left with throttle.

... now it doesnt really do that now...

... While the car was up in the air, i tightend the motor mount nuts.... with a impact wrench, tey werent loose, but i made sure they werent.

.... last night it drove perfectly fine. Today i drove it and it would be fine downlow but around 130 it feels like the front end is picking up and sways right to left. which is pretty scary and dangerous.

i checked the bolts on the motor mounts/nuts, sway bar bushings and tranny mounts. And they all checked out. Alignment could be the only thing left.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Alignment and check all of your ball joints and wheel bearings. When my rear wheel bearings started going out my car was very scary after 70mph and when I would hit a dip in the road. I replaced both rear wheel bearings and had a good alignment done and the problem went away.

Steve K.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Could be alignment or ball joints, but my similar feeling was due to my destroyed driver's side rear wheel bearing. Jack up the car and see if you can wiggle the wheel at all. If you wait too long, you'll have to replace the bearing hub too, mine needed that too. If you wait even longer, a new axle too.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright ill check out the bearings.... at what milage did you guys have problem with the wheel bearings?? My car only has 26k miles... would seem kind of weird for them to go out at that milage.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
I agree Jon that that is low mileage, but your car is 8 years old. If you get any water, debris, or contamination in there and it sits for a while it can do some damage.

Steve K.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Evill Steve's right that time takes its toll even without lots of milage. Mine has 80k miles and I just had them done, but I do a few track days and I've been known to plow the infield a couple times, so I'd guess maybe side impact on the wheel leads to premature failure.

I posted about other's wheel bearing failures in Road Racing & Autocross section here and got a few good inputs, go look at this thread:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264656

·
Registered
659 Posts
i'd say to chech:
- bearings
- bushings
- alignment
- suspension hardware

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
my car liked to float... it was the wheel bearing on the driver side rear. Do as said... jack up your car all around, and try wiggling all the wheels.... you'll know it if the wheel bearings are shot

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supradedupra said:
my car liked to float... it was the wheel bearing on the driver side rear. Do as said... jack up your car all around, and try wiggling all the wheels.... you'll know it if the wheel bearings are shot
did it do this at all speeds?

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
You'll feel it worse the faster you go.

Steve K.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Does the hand brake need to be released when checking for wheel bearing play???

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Yes.

Steve K.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Be sure to check the alignment adjustment points too. My car would wander just after going over bumps and imperfections in the road at highway speeds. I re-torqued all of the nuts on the eccentric cam bolts for the alignment points and it quit. Just be very careful not to actually turn the eccentric bolts or you'll need to have the alignment done again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts