Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was coming home from work lastnight and the supra turned of. the tach went to zero and couldnt accelerate. so i pulled to the side of the road and looked at it and cant figure it out. tried to start it and now it wont start. i havve noticed that i do have a large amount of oil in with my # 5 & 6 spark plugs. could this be the problem? does anyone have any ideas i need some quick this is my daily driver

·
Registered
375 Posts
does it studder first then stall? if their si engoug oil in the spark gally it could be leaking in the boots and causing spark deterioration, hopefully not fire any time soon. if you clean that out and it doesnt fix it check for spark and fuel. try and give some mroe info after you clean that out, ope that helps

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know what it is some others say teh oil is from a ring adn that wouldnt cause it to turn off while driving 60mph on the highway. what could of made it turn off?

·
Registered
375 Posts
let us have some info on the car; gte? 5-speed?, year give us some info, mileage ex.

·
Registered
375 Posts
stall during driving could caused by maythings, make sure on your distributor cap that it isnt cracked and makre sure that it is sealed properly, any cracks and improper seal could cause water to get in a ignition break down could occur. also checlk spark, remove a plug and turn over the car, do this with all cylinders to insure spark delivery, as far as the die while driving we will worry about that once the car is running. also test for spark, unless you have the proper tools a pressure test cant be done but u can unhook a fuel line, put it in a bottle and crank to at least make sure you are getting fuel, there is a spec for a certain amount of fuel to cracking time, this is called a fuel volume test. Spark and fuel are the first things you look for in a no start situation, leme know ill be helpful if i can be,

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had the very same thing once... bought a new distributor cap and rotor, checked and replaced the plugs and nothing quite worked...

Mine just started to stutter or even turn off while taking left turns. Finally i found a lose connector... the connector to the Ignition Coil... if it's not connected properly it'll wiggle itself loose in time and cause such problems.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Check your EFI fuse in the fuse box on the driver's side of the engine compartment. Make sure that isn't blown. If it is, pull out the 'ol wiring diagram and start tracing until you find a shorted wire. Mine happened to be in the O2 sensor circuit, you can search for problems others have had.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Hello Brs,
Heh, a couple weeks ago, I got about 12' past my driveway when the engine just stopped. It cranked for awhile, then I gave up & had the Mrs give me a ride to work.

Upon returning home, I noticed the tach had no life at all while cranking. I pushed the wiring into the back of the ignition coil connector on the 17 year old harness & gave it a try. Vrooom.

Fundamental lack of combustion means we must ensure air, fuel, spark is there. Easier said than done, but once resolved, you should be good to go. Try a few things, heh, a firm wiggle fixed mine, woot...a lot easier than I'd expected!

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
greensupra_87 said:
timing belt
i had my timing belt break on me while i was driving. same thing, just died. turned the key and nothing would happen. luckily when it broke it didnt damage anything though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts