Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop to get gas. Go to start up car afterwards, and car turns over, but refuses to start.

Wait about 10 minutes and car starts up.

This has happened 3 times now and all 3 times are right after I stopped to get gas. Any other time, car starts up fine. Anyone run into this problem before?

I've been reading it may be cps related, but if so, all 3 times this has happened, I don't see why it would only happen after I stop to gas up. Sounds like a fuel related problem. Gas cap maybe? Fuel pump? FPR?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is it only after fueling? What about just turning the car off for a short time, and then start it again?
I can turn it off and start it up fine. I even started it up and turned it off. Waited about 5 minutes (the time it would take to fill it up and pay for gas) and it still starts up just fine. Note that it does not happen every time I stop to refuel. It has only happened the 3 times I stated earlier, but all 3 during refueling only. (Although it could be a coincident that all 3 happened during refueling, who knows...)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Is your car an auto?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will check the ignition timing soon as I get a hold of a timing light.

I've never done timing and I don't quite understand the tsrm. Here is what I'm getting out of it, can someone correct me if I'm wrong:
Warm up engine
Connect timing light and pickup to no 6 spark plug wire
put a jumper wire to terminal TE1 and E1
Check idle to make sure it's at 650 rpm per tsrm
check to make sure crank pully is aligned at 10degree mark with timing light and adjust cps to align it if needed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would not check timing . Timing can't move for 5 min then decide to move back again.
Get some carburator cleaner. Next time it happens. Spray some on the throtle and crank again. If vehicle starts and dies. Then u know is fuel u missing. If there is no difference check for spark.
Remember u need 3 things to get a engine started. Air ,fuel ,and spark
I'm not to familiar with the mk3. But I would guess fuel pump or crank or cam sensor. Or something electrical. Only something electrical can work then stop work . Not something mechanical like timing ,

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Heat soak?
Curious.... how low are you letting your tank go down before refueling? Any thought as to you stirring up crap in your tank and plugging the pickup? Or your fuel relay is crapping out. Or... fuel pump.
Have you tried refueling while the engine is running?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it does not happen every time I refuel. I just refueled the other day and it started right back up just fine. It could possibly be heat soaked or a bad relay/pump. But it seems to be driving fine right now with no issues. Like I said, only happened 3 times so far, I'm just trying to narrow it down and get this fixed so I'm not left stranded somewhere/sometime in the future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, it happened again. But this time it wasn't after refueling. I haven't driven the car for about a week and went to start her up today. She cranked, but would not start. I tried cranking her for about 5-6 seconds, 3 times. Wouldn't start up. I opened the gas cap and closed it. Went back to start her up and she started right up.

Someone with more automotive knowledge chime in as to why this is? My guess is check valve isn't working properly. Anyways, I'm off to buy a new gas cap. But it's hard to figure out because I can't reproduce this problem and it comes on and off randomly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this sounds stupid, but depending on the climate you live in its prolly your fuel pump. When fuel pumps are hot then get dumped with cold gaslone they will seize up. but usually they dont EVER start back up again. so maybe its something else. i would check your fuel pressure after you gas it up, if its low to zero, replace the pump. a bad check valve in the fuel pump will only make cranking a few seconds longer, but it should always start.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
It sounds fuel related, but to check for possibly the cps being the culprit you can pick up an inline spark tester cheap that goes inbetween a spark plug and wire and next time it won't start crank it over and watch for spark, then you'd at least know if its ignition related. If you get spark, I would get a fuel pump cause if you were to drop the tank to check things out, you might as well replace it while you're there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That use to happen to me some times as well found out my cps is going bad, when it dies on you try to wiggle the cables on the cps and try to fire it up. Now that i rewired my cps and ditched the connector never had the problem ever since.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Car use to only have trouble starting up sometimes right after refueling, but recently car was having trouble starting up more and more (even without refueling). (same symptoms, had to wait 5 to 10 minutes after the first crank, and she would start up). One morning when she refused to start up I finally went and got a fuel pressure guage and hooked it up to the cold start injector line. I confirmed that it was not getting any fuel pressure at all.

I decided it was about time to install my walboro that's been sitting in my garage for the last 12 months. It's been about 2 months now since the walboro install. During the first month, the car would start up almost instantly when cranked. Seems to be taking slightly longer cranking now to start up, but she has not had the "starting" problem as before I replaced the pump yet. Lets hope the problem has been solved.

(fuel filter was also replaced too)

·
Registered
188 Posts
it was your fuel filter. dont buy the micro guards there shit, and try to avoid any alcohol.
you should pull your drain plug for shits and see if anything comes out. it couldnt hurt would help if anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts