Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen my build thread, and if you have not, it may be useful for picture references with my problem! Here's the link:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522369

First off, the car is not complete, but is in a position where it should at least start. For me to continue (finish) my build, I would like to figure this out first.

I have checked out a lot of different parts of the car, but am still stuck. I'm pretty sure that I am missing spark. I can smell fuel. The car cranks and cranks and cranks. I can even hear the exhaust pulse a little. I checked for spark on a plug by having it hooked up, grounding it, and cranking with no arc. I have not touched the fuel system or opened up the motor at all, just twins off, single on. More can be seen in my build thread.

So who knows what the main causes for the car not starting? Particularly after a single install?

thanks to all!

Reid

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'll start with the easy one: still on the MAF? If so, did you plumb the IAC into the intake pipe after it?

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to start the car, I plugged the MAF back in, no IAC, it has a breather on it now, but the air hose that goes to it is open. I think I need to plug it.

Keep em comin guys!

Reid

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have you checked and double checked all of the grounding points? Also the coolant temp sensors can cause this..i believe

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never touched any of the grounding points, but will end up checking over them again.

As for the coolant sensor, I have heard this also. I broke the top of the 2 sensors on the waterneck at the beginning of the build. I ordered a new one and soldered it in. It should be ok now. That one keeps poping up in my mind too.

I'm also still wondering about the air hose from the IACV

Reid

·
Registered
361 Posts
I never touched any of the grounding points, but will end up checking over them again.

As for the coolant sensor, I have heard this also. I broke the top of the 2 sensors on the waterneck at the beginning of the build. I ordered a new one and soldered it in. It should be ok now. That one keeps poping up in my mind too.

I'm also still wondering about the air hose from the IACV

Reid
Try capping the air hose see if anything changes..... im still thinkin of possible causes.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,873 Posts
Re-check the coilpack connectors. They are very britle and break very easily upon removal especially if they havent been touch for awile.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maf won't read the air the IAC is passing thru to the engine to keep it at idle cause you have a minifilter on it. If you are still maf and are draw thru in front of the turbo you must put a hose from the IAC post maf. Otherwise cap off IAC with a 3/4" rubber cap and adjust the throttle body for more air to register thru the maf.

·
The Old Breed
328 Posts
Well an IACV thats not routed to the MAF will still start the car but will idle horribly.....

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try capping the air hose see if anything changes..... im still thinkin of possible causes.
I did try that, no luck. Does it need to be plugged for sure? I have no idea what to do with it.

Re-check the coilpack connectors. They are very britle and break very easily upon removal especially if they havent been touch for awile.
Yeah these are all good, they are fairly new.

Maf won't read the air the IAC is passing thru to the engine to keep it at idle cause you have a minifilter on it. If you are still maf and are draw thru in front of the turbo you must put a hose from the IAC post maf. Otherwise cap off IAC with a 3/4" rubber cap and adjust the throttle body for more air to register thru the maf.
I was told to use the filter, I will be using the VPC soon, I just wanted to see what's stopping me from starting it up. Would that really stop it from starting altogether? I was thinking it would at least start but idle rough and possibly die.

Reid

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I did think of something else, I cleaned up the Intake manifold with GUNK. Any reason I could have messed up the cam sensors? Maybe something else? Just a thought...

·
The Old Breed
328 Posts
A bad cam sensor will not start the car...it will try and turn but not start it. That could be a good possibility? Did you check the battery? How about the plug to the MAF? Is it connected all the way in?...

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A bad cam sensor will not start the car...it will try and turn but not start it. That could be a good possibility? Did you check the battery? How about the plug to the MAF? Is it connected all the way in?...
Yes it could for sure, but I'm just wondering if some of the GUNK got in there, if that could have messed it up. The MAF is connected all the way. I used a voltmeter on the battery while starting and it registered upper 10 volts under crank which is more than enough.

As for the IACV...the line is supposed to be ran back and tied in the intake after the MAF sensor.
So not plugged? lol I'm so confused right now

Reid

1 - 20 of 46 Posts