Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy flippin shit. I have had nothing but problems with my car for the past year! I'm bout ready to drive the fucker off a cliff!

With the key in the accessorie position

The things that work:

all my idiot lights.
my alarm system

The things that don't work:

Turbo timer
e-01 boost controller
safc2
stereo
oh yeah and the whole damn car won't start.

How it happened.

I was driving down the freeway a while ago and noticed my turbotimer was counting down. So I shut it off. this killed my car and I had to pull off on the side of the road. then the car wouldn't start and hasn't started since.

I have tried disconnecting the turbo timer. didin't help. i tried resetting the ecu/unhooked the battery. didn't work. I disconnected my alarm. didn't work.

All of my electronics used to ATLEAST turn on when I had the car on (but not running) now nothing is turning on @ all.

When I try to start the car, It sounds as if it is going to start up any moment with a healthy turn over sound (no clicking or hesitation due to a dead batter).

I am @ a loss and the only option I have left is to have it towed somewhere to get it checked out but I don't evne know where to take it. every place I have ever taken the car to has fucked something up or refused to work on it. I don't want to be paying a flatbed to continually tow it form place to place before someone can actually fix it.

I am in desperate need of help so if anyone can give me advice, I would be forever indebted to you.

I just got done fixing CEL light problem (hose popped off my egr modulator) and just recently replaced my radiator.

last year I had my TPS and starter replaced and had to track down an electrical issue that was causing my car to die frequently (it ended up being a loose wire connected to the ecu).

The car is not dieing now. it just won't start.

again, any help PLEASE!

Thank you.

Justin

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DavidE said:
First thing to check would be all your fuses (including under the hood).

Where in WA are you located?

David
All of my fuses are fine. checked the ones under the hood, inside the car, even checked the few that i found when I had the dash ripped apart to play with my alarm (the fuses were part of the alarm system) everything was fine as far as I could tell. none of them snapped or even looked burned.

I live just north of Arlington.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hmmm...with all that electrical hooked up to it i'd def. check ALL the connections again. did you do it yourself? remember there are only a few things that makes a vehicle start...a few important thing that is. compression, spark, fuel, and timing. i bet you're not getting spark.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wu_Tang said:
hmmm...with all that electrical hooked up to it i'd def. check ALL the connections again. did you do it yourself? remember there are only a few things that makes a vehicle start...a few important thing that is. compression, spark, fuel, and timing. i bet you're not getting spark.
I had my ebc, bcc, and afc installed by torque freaks. I'm not pointing fingers but when I went to a local shop to get my car checked out when a spark occured while changing my battery fried my afc, the guy ended up having to reground all of the electronics TF installed because they supposedly didn't ground them properly (causing my afc to call it quits) :ugh2:

anyhoo... all of my electronics were "professionally" done and then "professionally" redone.

Here is a link to my thread in the MKIV section as well. A lot of this stuff is beyond my skill level so if you could read the replies and maybe simplify it for me I can hopefully take it from there..

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368114

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
It might be something as simple as cleaning your battery terminals and connections. A ground wire may be it, too. I don't think it could be a spark issue because most of your electrical system is not working, which plugs have nothing to do with. So, wiring is where to start. Try to find all your grounds (use a manual with the wiring diagram) and check to ensure they are in complete contact with their proper location.

Sorry about that man.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
djsupra7 said:
It might be something as simple as cleaning your battery terminals and connections. A ground wire may be it, too. I don't think it could be a spark issue because most of your electrical system is not working, which plugs have nothing to do with. So, wiring is where to start. Try to find all your grounds (use a manual with the wiring diagram) and check to ensure they are in complete contact with their proper location.

Sorry about that man.
My current problem did not occur with a battery spark. That was a previous issue. My current problem is stated in my original post.

btw my terminals are clean as a wistle. Have yet to check any grounds other than the one for my alarm system which was fine..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i was thinking about this problem while driving home. we have to think logically. most important question is...what would trigger the turbo timer to start counting down? obviously it thinks that the car has shut off. i think its something in your wiring with the ignition. with your key turned all the way, it'll trigger the main relay, allowing fuel and spark. right? im trying to remember things, i hardly know anything about 2jz, but use to be a toy tech. did you confirm you are getting fuel/spark? you gotta keep tracing the wires. there's only so many wires...dont give up on it. if you do let me have it...hehe. seriously though, with the question in mind, what gives these electronic components power? go to the main source....heck go back to whoever the hell wired it. if they are true to the work they do, they will have no hesitation to look over THEIR work. they are professionals, but that doesnt mean they're perfect.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Well, if your stereo is not working but your idiot lights are, it may not be a main power wire- if I remember right, those two are on the same connection and split later. I'm not sure about the 2j's either, but for my 7m, there are two main power wires- accessory power and starter. Since your car tries to start (assuming that means turns crank, but nothing), then your starter is just dandy, but you may not have spark/fuel- another issue. For accessories, the only thing that seems logical is a ground wire that has been disconnected because some accessories work, but others don't. Just my two cents.
Like Wu Tang said, follow the wires and/or go back to whoever wired it. They should look at their own work, free of charge because it's also their problem now (unless they want to lose business...)

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fixed her!! It was such a simple fix too! All it cost me was a crimp that I already had stock of. That's it!

check my other thread for full details (up a few posts)

:)

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
awesome! so your turbo timer is hooked up with crimps instead of a plug 'n play harness?

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrMike said:
awesome! so your turbo timer is hooked up with crimps instead of a plug 'n play harness?
nono. it has the optional greddy harness. The original wire was crimpted together. If you get curious, you can crawl under your dash and look for the 8 pin connector by the ignition and tell me if the no.3 wire (white with a red stripe) is hooked together @ some point with a crimp. However..the crimp looked extremely sloppy so im sure it was cut and re-crimped for some odd reason...dunno. the turbo timer was on the car when I got it btw.

Turning out to be an ok night actually. I also just got done installing my second set of new headlights. the first pair started to bubble inside like they so often do. the original warrenty would have been up within the next month or so. Now I have brand new lights with a brand new warrenty :p

I hope they stay nice this time!

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Maybe i read it wrong, but he said that he has issues with work done at TF, all i was saying is that i know he would have no problems with work done at Rrev Motorsports

I was not bashing your new employees, i was saying that the ones i liked went to Rrev, and you guys got new people that i dont know, hence the IMHO

i guess my post came across as something it was not ment to be, its like vouching from someother mom's cooking, I know my moms cooking like i know the employees at Rrev, and sense he had issue with TF i said that i would vouch for Rrev's work, i cannot say weither TF is good or bad, hence the reason i said i have no experiance with the new TF

I aplogize for problems, i guess i am too blunt, and need to edit thoughts more

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
David_rg79 said:
i wouldnt put it past torque freaks

go to rrev motorsports if you want quality work, all the good tuners left torque freaks and went to Rrev IMHO

I hated everyone at rorque freaks b4 sean sold it except Tim, John reed, and Brown...everyone else was a complete and udder moron, who thought becasue they worked for torque freaks they were some sort of God...worst of all were the butt buddies Jason and Matt....

Like i said i have yet to be to torque freaks after being boughtout(so i cannot give an opinion), but i can assure you your work will be done right at Rrev Motorsports

david

David,
Thank you for yet again irritating an already sore spot for the northwest. For a personal recollection of a timeline, I was not an owner of the company at the time Gwalio had his work done at TF. In fact, all the people you recommended WERE employees at the time @ TF. So essentially your insulting them as much as your insulting myself and the company I have worked to create. Frankly when stuff like this gets dug up, it does nothing but cause grief in the NW. So if your in the business to cause drama between TF and RRev, do please continue. I have talked to you personally about your past with TF. I have taken all steps to clear up the problems that you have had IN THE PAST before I was around. Matt no longer works at TF (at least the Matt you know), and from what my conversations from Jason were you have a problem with HIM, and hey thats fine, but I stand behind him, and I would bet the guys over at RRev would do the same.

So if your in the business to keep drama going between TF and RRev, by all means keep banging away at the keyboard, but for the past few months its actually been civil between our shops. Both shops are here to serve the auto enthusiast community. Both shops exisit because they do what they love, and they can make a "marginal" living at it. This isn't some game that you can get on the forums and try to tear down peoples livings, especially when your facts are not right. If under my watch there was a problem, I'd be the first to get it resolved within reason. However I have had to draw the line, and cut my losses for work done before my watch. (Oct 05)

So long story short, don't rail on my company since you don't have any personal experince with it since I have been here (as noted in your post). Its not appreciated by myself, and a majority of the forum members.
Thank you

Mark

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
Mark, I totally agree with you.. Both our shop are around to help the comunity as a whole because it is what we like to do, its not fair to get blasted on the forums when we try our best to help this industry. Both our shops are proffesional, but everyone can't always be perfect. Problems do come up, and the good shops will take care of it without hassle, just like I know TF would do in a instance like this.

David, Although I do appriciate your recemendation, please do not degrade TF while doing so. I know there is some personal conflicts between them and you, but please keep it off the forum. Like you know, most of RRev worked at TF at one time, so bashing there reputation in some cases is like bashing ours..

If anyone ever has problems with work done on there car, they need to take it up with the shop that did the work BEFORE, posting on the forums. Most good shops will do there best to fix whatever is wrong. If they don't, then post if you want, but at least give them an oppertunity to fix it.

Justin, try some of the suggestions already given, like the ground wires, etc.. If that doesn't work, give us a call and we can try to help. Good luck !

Tim

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latteboost said:
Mark, I totally agree with you.. Both our shop are around to help the comunity as a whole because it is what we like to do, its not fair to get blasted on the forums when we try our best to help this industry. Both our shops are proffesional, but everyone can't always be perfect. Problems do come up, and the good shops will take care of it without hassle, just like I know TF would do in a instance like this.

David, Although I do appriciate your recemendation, please do not degrade TF while doing so. I know there is some personal conflicts between them and you, but please keep it off the forum. Like you know, most of RRev worked at TF at one time, so bashing there reputation in some cases is like bashing ours..

If anyone ever has problems with work done on there car, they need to take it up with the shop that did the work BEFORE, posting on the forums. Most good shops will do there best to fix whatever is wrong. If they don't, then post if you want, but at least give them an oppertunity to fix it.

Justin, try some of the suggestions already given, like the ground wires, etc.. If that doesn't work, give us a call and we can try to help. Good luck !

Tim
Tim (and Mark), Sorry to cause such a controversy! This is why I said I was "not pointing fingers" because I understand that 'SHIT HAPPENS'

TF is not the only place I have had trouble with and it doesn't neccessarily mean it's the whole COMPANY'S fault. All I will say is it's nice to see it under new management ;)

Again, sorry my post resulted in a negative reply as it was not my intention.

BTW, I got my car up and running last night. I had some fantastic help from a fellow forum member over on the MKIV board.

Thank you all for your contribution and concern in helping me fix my problem. As I stated in my other thread, this forum is awesome.

Take care guys! :)

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
Gwailo, glad to hear its fixed. You did not cause any controversy. The controversy has been dealt with. Its just some members enjoy "stirring the pot" to create the flame fest for their own amusment.

As you can see, both Tim and I are on the same boat here. Your matter has been resolved, and I think all that happend was a showing that we are tired of all the drama on the forum, and I appreciate Tim's straighforwardness.

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Tim & Mark -- I am impressed with the professional responses here from both of you. You both represent your businesses well.

David -- I have already spoken to you on PM and IM in the past about this kind of bashing. I recommended that you handle these matters personally rather than trying to start crap on the forums. I'm recommending the same now. Every time that you post something like what you did above it reflects poorly on you.

Think about it.

Thanks.
-Chris

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Gwailo-
I'm glad you got that figured out! It's always such a relief when a problem such as that is solved. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts