Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is charged, relay in the engine fuse box looks good. Fuses inside look good. AEM looks to be all plugged in... I can't even hear a click from the starter. You can hear the fuel pumps and AEM turn on, that's about it. I need to get this thing on a trailer soon and would like it running to save a couple hundred bucks. Do I just buy a new starter, or is there anything else I need to check? Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Definitely starter related. The starter has its own circuit and is directly controlled by ignition key via relays. It should crank regardless what other issue you may have.

If you can get to the starter try to use something to knock on it, giving it a shock. Sometimes the starter will magically work again and you can drive it to get it replaced. I learned that from the AAA guy who came to help when my friends car wouldn't crank, and was perfectly fine before we stopped.

·
Registered
215 Posts
check the clutch switch too.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
may also want to check your neutral safety switch
He has a 6 speed, so no neutral safety switch.

check the clutch switch too.
This. And a dumb question: are you pressing the clutch in when you're trying to start it?

Before you go replacing parts, do a proper diagnostic.
  • Put a testlight on the small starter contact and see if it lights up when you try to start the car.
  • Put a testlight on the large starter contact and see if it lights up immediately (it's tied directly to the battery, so it should).
If those both work, actually test your relays instead of saying "looks good". Report back with results for further advice.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts

This. And a dumb question: are you pressing the clutch in when you're trying to start it?

If he has the clutch switch bypassed, check this connection to see if its loose.

DP

·
Registered
537 Posts

• Put a testlight on the small starter contact and see if it lights up when you try to start the car.
  • Put a testlight on the large starter contact and see if it lights up immediately (it's tied directly to the battery, so it should).
If those both work, actually test your relays instead of saying "looks good". Report back with results for further advice.
ya I meant clutch switch

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input fellas. Probably won't have much time until the weekend. I will check this stuff and bring what I find back to you guys. Thanks again.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Leave it in gear and try to roll the car back and forth while cranking on the car. If it starts then you definitely know it is the starter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts