Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I fucked up and expect to get flamed pretty bad for this, but do to a hasty battery swap this morning I installed battery backwards. Yes I know how stupid. At work, so I will explain later. Anyways, after changing the 100 AMP fuse and correcting the mistake with the battery, I now get power to everything except the ignition system and stereo. Checked all relate fuses. I am thinking that the factory security system has electrically disabled this ignition system, and needs to be enabled? I was able to push her down a hill and dump the clutch to get her started so I could make it into work. Battery is new. Any ideas? oh yeah, I tried disabling the security system with the key in both the doors, still nothin. I don't hear the click from the starter relay, and dont think the clutch ignition disabling switch is bad as it worked great yesterday, but will double check that when I get home after work to make sure. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You probably burned a fusible link wire, they are not in the fuse box, they're soldered into the wires near the battery. It looks just like normal wire, maybe a little thicker, except the inside melts in half like a fuse. Pull on them and see if any of them stretch easily or pull /break apart... this indicates they're burnt.

AFAIK the alarm system would be flashing all the lights and honking the horns if it was set off (and disabling anything). That's how mine works anyway. All you do to reset it on my 87 is lock and unlock one of the doors with the key.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably burned a fusible link wire, they are not in the fuse box, they're soldered into the wires near the battery. It looks just like normal wire, maybe a little thicker, except the inside melts in half like a fuse. Pull on them and see if any of them stretch easily or pull /break apart... this indicates they're burnt.

AFAIK the alarm system would be flashing all the lights and honking the horns if it was set off (and disabling anything). That's how mine works anyway. All you do to reset it on my 87 is lock and unlock one of the doors with the key.
My system is the same way, except that every once in a while it gives me the silent treatment. No lights or honkin, just disables the ignition. SO I would have to get out of my car and go around to the passenger side to disarm it. Anyways, thanks, I didn't realize there were fuseable links in the wire itself till now. Will go check that next and let ya know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so its not the wires from the battery. pretty confident it is the starter itself. guess I might have burnt up the soleniod or somethin. I pulled the connector (not the battery cable) off of the starter and put one multimeter lead into the connector and touched the other one to the female end in which it connects to and had my wife try to start it. Got current, so I know I am getting power to the starter, its just not turnin. guess its time to order a new starter which sucks cause by the looks of it this one was fairly new itself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump...figured I would bump this instead of start a new one. So it wasn't the starter. I changed the clutch safety switch and start relay, still same prob. When I turn the key to start you can see the car draw all the power for the starter like usual. Just not turning the starter. Could it be that the factory alarm system is fried and causing this? I have searched and can not find the alarm ECU. I looked above the break pedal behind the steering column and connot find it. Anybody have any ideas at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts