Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help out as I'm getting frustrated and not looking forward to trouble shooting everything.

Here's the car:
1993.5 auto TT with 120k
purchased 2 years ago with Down Pipe and Turbo timer, greddy
everything else is basically stock, no alarm. Looks like it had a factory alarm but was removed.

Here's what happened:
I started the car, backed out of the garage and drove a block to a stop sign and the car shut off! Tried to retart and nothing it just sat there trying to turn over but no fire.
Pushed it back to the garage and opened the hood and did a quick check over and couldn't find nothing wrong.

I had to leave as I was heading out of state for 2 weeks, so I let my dad know( he's pretty good at diagnosting problems) and left.

He said he followed the book and started checking to see if it was getting fuel. pump was coming on and pumping fuel to the injectors. then he said he checked for spark and that checked out ok.

Basically he followed the book and checked everything ok and at the end the book says repalce ecm.

So today I go out hook the battery up and check and see if it will crank, it won't so I check the fuses and find some of them blown.

2 7.5 and one 30 along with the big 120 ALT. I replace the 3 and it back to turning over and not firing.

I unhook the battery and plug in a new ecm. and still no fire!!

so I'm back to square one. I was hoping the computer had some stored codes but it comes up blank so that's not very helpful.

If any of you guy's have any suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate any help.

also if anyone might know a good place in the Chicagoland area
I might be able to take it if I can't get this thing figured out on my own.

Thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
I just bought my supra. I searched the MKIV.Com and the |-supra.com site trying to help you. I am sorry.. but I am sure someone here can help. I just saw that no one replied and you really are in a spot. At least this will bump it back up in the thread list

·
Registered
285 Posts
..so engine turns.... turns and turns... do u smell gas in the pipe?

yes, ignition system not firing.... No, fuel not getting to the engine...try that dood

no fuel to engine, check fuel level, do you have gas? is your meter lying to you? fuel filter stuck.. fuel pump...

You have no hope! write up the pink slip into my name and i will take your car from you and you need not worry about this ever again!

B

·
0 Posts
have you tried to pull the sparklugs to see if its wet with unburned gas from running rich. If your o2 sensor is fouled you'll run rich most of the time and have a hard time starting a car again, especially if the engine is cold. My car does it all the time, espically if I just start it and shut it down right away. Have to floor the gas pedal to keep the engine from being flooded the next time I start her up.

·
Registered
885 Posts
you guys got to keep it simple. it could be an underpowered battery. check the voltage on the battery should be 12.4+. also try jump starting, or use a booster pack. thats one of the first things us techs do.

Y

·
0 Posts
first off, are you N/A or TT. Does it throw an engine code?
check all fuses (at drivers kick pannel to, there is an ign fuse there. make sure you have a good conection at your ignitor, then the coil and to the distributor. (if your N/A) if the computer looses the signal from the distributor it will not fire.
hope this helps

Y

·
0 Posts
ok, so next time i will read the whole post...that you are an auto TT.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know I always suggest this but when all else fails.. when was timing belt last changed?? A Toyota or Honda or any timing belt car will turn over and turn over but NOT catch and crank if belt has broken teeth, slipping, or just plain broken in two...

Also, could be throttle position sensor, or a number of things...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand alot of your posts but come on! Battery is out of the question, I checked it, even installed a new one.

I don't think I would be cranking my engine over if the belt was broke!!

I replaced all plugs and checked coil packs along with jumping the diagnostic plugs and running the fuel to see if it gets to the rail.

I need to check a few things to make sure each injector is firing.

The belt was changed 20k ago so I'm not thinking it stretched and the timing is off but never know

Basically I'll just start over and start checking everything..

·
Registered
885 Posts
go to toyota or a mechanic.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
If you haven't replaced your spark plugs, it's them. Even if you checked them, replace them. The NGK's are what everyone swears by and they're pretty cheap. I use the HKS GT35's which are like $25 a plug (I'm just anal about what I put in my car). Just make sure to gap them according to your mods.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
If you have a local friend with a Supra, ask to borrow his/her igniter if all else fails. I have had igniter problems lately, and the symptoms sound very similar.

Scott

peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE!

I didn't replace the plugs yet but I think they only have 5k on them..

I was working on it a little this afternoon and finding that it's not getting fuel into the cylinder. It seems to be getting it up to the fuel rail but for some reason the injectors aren't firing.

I didn't have time to mess with it anymore so I'll finish tommorow

Any Ideas? I remember my dad saying he checked the current on the injectors and they are in spec. is there something that will prevent the injectors from firing even if it's getting spark? etc.

·
Registered
285 Posts
aren't the injectors controlled by the same thing that controls the function of the rev limiter? reset the ECU...and check your gas tank, Got Gas? bounce the car and see if it swishes .. something could be clogged dood! Get some draino.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
TRD94JZA80TT said:
you guys got to keep it simple. it could be an underpowered battery. check the voltage on the battery should be 12.4+. also try jump starting, or use a booster pack. thats one of the first things us techs do.
Aren't you in high school Auto Shop?? Yet you classify yourself as a Tech?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts